Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

adivice on tuning the a4. what can i expect? im choosing to buy a car.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2001, 07:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default adivice on tuning the a4. what can i expect? im choosing to buy a car.

hello everyone. im doing some research on which car i would like to buy. im thinking either the wrx, rsx-s, or the audi a4. i know that the a4 is much slower than these cars so therefore i plan on modding if i do choose the a4. what can i expect from doing the simple chip + intake + exhaust in performance? what can i get n the 0-60 and 1/4? any suggestions would help. thanks alot!
Old 08-18-2001, 08:35 PM
Rest In Peace

Useless tidbit follows: One of my favourite DJs is named Algorithm (from Toronto)
Old 08-18-2001, 10:04 PM

Default Re: adivice on tuning the a4. what can i expect? im choosing to buy a car.

Hello!
From my OWN experience is the WRX is a piece of Scrap,
A few months back their Japanese turner did a Test with other 4WD cars from Japan. And I even rented the video because I was in the market for a second car and WRX is the new kid on the block, and price is reasonable.
Anyway the WRX come out with the lowest points.
Now! This is a surprise.
It can't beat it's own older brother >>the old WRX that we know so well<<
Most of The Driver's were complaining about the under steer at speed. And 1 driver was doing @140Kmh, and he turn the wheel to ½ turn for 2 Sec's, the car just keep going straight. Yes, forward.
That was the test result.
Anyway all the turner and driver were hoping the STI (Subaru Tecnica International) vision would improve. But, I don't think we can have it in North America?

This is even more interesting,
It happened not too long ago. Just one night. I was just cursing around with my Toyota Lucida. In North America we call them Previa. O.K. It's a mini Van from Toyota.
And I get to this hill where all the NOT ALLOW RACING take place. I wasn't planning to do anything; after all I was with my Van. By the way my other car is a R33 Vspec Skyline from Nissan. And now I drive an allroad.
Then just come along on the road with this Subaru-WRX. We were going up the hill at that time. Now. This guy just pushing and pushing, me with the Van, from left to right and right to left.
Oh well! You want to play, let's play.
By the way I will rate this road 8.5 for difficulties. It's something like the 1 down in San Francisco and the 1 up here north in Whistler.
Let see how much I can push this van I said to myself, the van is auto, no Tip.
I down shift to 2nd and flood it, hit 7000rpm, shift to D and up the hill we go. He still at my rear bumper. A 20% Left turn then a 30% right. By the time I've exit the right, I can see his Front bumper from my rear view mirror.
I mean, all the sudden this guy doesn't want to play or what?
No, I was wrong.
He come right back to my rear bumper again at straight.
At the time we were at top of the hill, after the top. All down hill. Show time for me.
Anyhow the rest of the roads are left, right, type of thing. Ranging from 20% to 50% turns. By the time I got to the 10th turn, he had lost it totally. During most of the time I've use the van suspension and oversteer it to push myself out from the turns.
I mean so much for the Rallying history.

The A4 is not what you think, that slow.
Because, before I change to the allroad. I have a 2000/GLX Beetle, also equipe with 1.8T.
And you know what?
I've Kill, 1-BMW330CI, 3-Type_R, 1-Z_71, 2-TT-1.8T, 3-A4, and too many Honda Civic.

Hope this will help you to make your choice.
Old 08-19-2001, 10:31 AM

Default my opinions

the wrx is a really fast car but when i looked at it the were so many little things that seemed to be cheaply made-done that just gave me an idea of how well made the car was. the rsx-s is much smaller and i think its main weakness is the lack of torque. a a4 with chip and exhaust shouldnt have a problem taking on a rsx-s, plus you could upgrade to a ko4 turbo (around 235hp) or apr stage3(i thing 280) and i thing the a4 looks the best of all three, another thing, when i went to the audi dealer ship the salesman(around 185lbs) rolled down the passanger side window and sat on the door to prove how well built the car was,the didnt creek or anything
Old 08-19-2001, 11:21 AM

Default but wait

are you guys talking about the US version? i think the audi a4 1.8t only pushes 166HP.
Old 08-19-2001, 01:02 PM

Default He is talking about the larger aftermarket turbos

Stock the new 1.8T is 160. Chipped it is about 205. With a K04 turbo you can expect about 225-250 and with the APR Garret GT25 turbo you can expect 280-300+.
Old 08-20-2001, 07:17 AM

Default Also the A4 is more expensive to start with out of those you mentioned. If you want an everyday car

the A4 is probably the choice. Especially if you live near snow.

If you want a fast track car,lapping, solo1, get the rsx-s. It is light, cheaper aftermarket parts: brakes and wheels, the list goes on.

A stage 3 will cost you 6K USD above what you pay for the car.

If you want to do some rallyes, then the wrx is the better choice.
If you can tell us more, than we can give you better feedback.
Old 08-21-2001, 04:19 PM

I thought it was 170hp and 166 ft lbs
Old 08-21-2001, 04:44 PM

Default Re: Also the A4 is more expensive to start with out of those you mentioned. If you want an everyday

hi,
well a base 2001 a4 costs around 24k which is only a thousand less the the base rsx type-s. basically i am attracted to the a4 because of the awd. about the mods, i just would like to do whatever it takes to make the a4 pull 0-60 in 6-6.5 seconds and around mid 14's in the quarter. will that be expensive. im also sure when they put out the 202 models, the 2001 should drop in price.

thanks for the help.