Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Android Auto and more in 2005 Audi A8 D3 with MMI 2G High infotainment

Old 10-21-2018, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Android Auto, OBD-II, Hands-Free calling and more in 2005 Audi A8 D3 with MMI 2G High

Hello! I would like to present you my solution that extends MMI 2G High infotainment in my Audi A8 D3 2005.

I added support for Android Auto, Phone Mirroring, reading and displaying OBD-II data, Bluetooth Hands-Free calling, Kodi, music player and many other features. System is based on the Raspberry PI 4 with 4GB RAM and OpenAuto Pro application. The same modifications can be done for any Audi equipped with MMI 2G High infotainment (A6, Q7, A5).

My car has not been equipped with a factory TV Tuner and F-BAS socket so the very first thing to do was mounting an LVDS Video adapter dedicated for the MMI 2G High system. However, factory TV tuner was not an option because I wanted to control OpenAuto Pro and Android Auto using the factory buttons panel. In case of displaying video from Raspberry PI using a factory TV tuner that would not be possible.

Installation of the LVDS Video adapter was quite easy - they are Plug & Play devices. It required removal of the glovebox. Then simply connect the factory LCD to the adapter and adapter itself to the MMI 2G head unit (adapter is kind of a proxy that allows switching video sources). Last thing was powering the adapter (+12V and GND).

Next I connected PIN16 from MMI 2G High head unit harness to the MAX3232 adapter - that is required to receive signals from buttons panel by the Raspberry PI. Buttons panel uses 12V logic levels which is way too much for the Raspberry PI. This is the reason why I used MAX3232 - to convert 12V logic to 3.3V logic.

Switching from the factory MMI 2G system to OpenAuto Pro is done by pressing the NAV button. Once I press any other “function” button on the panel like RADIO, CD, TEL, CAR then it will switch back to the factory MMI 2G system. Adapter that I used supports switching video sources using panel buttons. So both systems (OpenAuto Pro and MMI 2G) do not collide with each other. However, DVD disc with maps has to be ejected so you lose the ability to use factory navigation but Google Maps or Waze are way better and modern.

And that's all - clean setup without cutting any wires and drilling .

I attached a simple schematic of how everything is connected in the car. To summarize - In order to use the factory buttons panel to control OpenAuto Pro/Android Auto you need to use LVDS Video adapter dedicated for the MMI 2G High. If you want to use a factory TV tuner then it will require you to mount some touch panel mounted on top of the factory LCD or an external keyboard in order to control OpenAuto Pro interface. Next I connected the buttons panel (PIN 16 of the MMI 2G head unit harness) to the Raspberry PI via MAX3232 converter. From the MAX3232 converter I connected a wire (TXD) to the LVDS video adapter for switching video source using buttons panel. Last thing was to connect the video signal from Raspberry PI to LVDS Video adapter.

Used components:
  1. Required by OpenAuto Pro:
    • Raspberry PI 3B/3B+/4B
    • 16GB SD Card
    • External sound card
    • Microphone
    • CSR 4.0 Bluetooth dongle
  2. Required by MMI 2G High:
    • MAX3232 converter
    • LVDS Video adapter for MMI 2G High
    • Fiber optic AUX adapter (my car did not have any AUX input available)

Schematic

Last edited by bluewavestudio; 01-06-2021 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Update
Old 11-02-2018, 01:59 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

You are welcome. If you have some questions you can always check OpenAuto Pro forum to check if there is solution:
https://bluewavestudio.io/community
https://bluewavestudio.io/community/...ad.php?tid=593

Last edited by bluewavestudio; 01-05-2021 at 04:58 AM.
Old 11-23-2018, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

If you are looking for Audi MMI 2G HIGH AUDIO / VIDEO INPUT SET for your Audi, we have found a place where you can order it. More information here:
https://bluewavestudio.io/index.php/blog
https://bluewavestudio.io/index.php/...ideo-input-set
Old 03-21-2019, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would need to purchase: RPI 3, OpenAuto Pro, and the power supply board, and the 2G MMI video input for this to work?

How do you use an external touchscreen instead? Is that possible to do?
Old 11-02-2019, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How get signal

How did u get the mmi button signal
Old 11-04-2019, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Ask db9

Originally Posted by Jdhdhd Dbdjd
How did u get the mmi button signal

The ttl adapter has a db9 conector what cables are conectet to db9 i see 2 wires but wheere goes
Old 01-05-2021, 04:24 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

It's been a long time since the last post. Everything works well still . I added more detailed description of the mounting and uploaded new photos. Enjoy!
Old 01-06-2021, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by bluewavestudio
It's been a long time since the last post. Everything works well still . I added more detailed description of the mounting and uploaded new photos. Enjoy!
Have you by chance mounted a touchscreen? Also would this system be compatible with iOS and carplay?
Old 01-08-2021, 08:40 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I would love to see a tutorial for this.
Old 08-23-2022, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default I recommend this Android Auto adapter

https://www.carinterface.lt/product/...i-mmi-2g-high/