Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Any advice for purchasing coilovers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2003, 03:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any advice for purchasing coilovers?

I was cruizing back North from the NorCal SoCal meet yesterday when I pulled over for a rest and found that my rear Pirellis had rubbed down to the ply on the inner wheel wells. This was due, of course to the 12 hr. round trip on sh*tty roads with four big guys and luggage on Eibach's and SSR GT3 19's. I'm thinking the only way to keep my car up under the wieght, and to get my wheels out as far as I would like, is to get coilovers. Can anybody point me in the right direction? Is this what I need? What brands are good? Should I get adjustable dampers?
Old 01-27-2003, 06:38 PM

Default I'd think a set of adjustable links would be the only thing to correct negative camber. C/O's will

let you adjust the ride height and corner weight the car but unless you adjust way high .. the camber will be just as much of an issue.
Old 01-28-2003, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Coilovers will give you a little added stiffness so you won't be so low when you throw a

couple hundred pounds in the back seat. That is interesting that your tires wore that fast tho. I think with coils you should be fine on your camber adjustments as long as your running around 25.5 or 26" from the fender to the ground. Any lower and you will need to either spend for some adjustable control arms or just deal with the faster and funny wear of your tires. Adjustable dampers are always a plus if you know what your doing. With most of the adjustable kits out you have to remove them to adjust, with the exception to the latest Stasis setup(2900 bucks..ugh!) or a custom kit for TrueChoice(also pricey). So if you buy adjustable, you need to know what you want and how to get it, otherwise you'll be installing them more than once.
Old 01-28-2003, 09:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Before you buy coilovers, read this...

...and do it right or don't start the nightmare.<ul><li><a href="http://www.bira.org/coilover.html">before you put coilovers on a street car...</a></li></ul>
Old 01-29-2003, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Re: Before you buy coilovers, read this...

your URL is wrong, take the "s" off the end of coilovers...Its corrected below.<ul><li><a href="http://www.bira.org/coilover.html">BIRA - Coilover opinion</a></li></ul>
Old 01-29-2003, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Another side to that argument maybe....

When you buy a damper from a store, they do not label them left or right. They are identical, not compensating for a tank of gas or the drivers weight. Throw on the progressive aftermarket springs(never going to be EXACTLY the same) and there is no guarantee that all the "legs of the table" will be the same length with this setup either. Just recently a buddy put on the Bilstein/Eibach setup and noticed that one side is slightly higher than the other. It is virtually impossible to get everything corner balanced, unless you have the scales that allow you to do so along with a suspension that is adjustable height wise. In my personaly opinion if the only thing keeping someone from purchasing coilovers is not being able to corner balance the kit, that is not a good enough reason. Anyone else have an opinion or better thinking than mine on this matter?
Old 01-29-2003, 07:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Re: Another side to that argument maybe....

ok, starting over, wasn't happy with what I originally wrote....

I've been running a Vortrag adjustable setup for nearly 4 years. I have not touched the ride height, primarily because it works for me (no bump steer, and no scraping anything). I also like the fact that I can pick whatever spring rate I want from many different manufacturers for pretty cheap. The ability to corner balance is a big plus for me too.

I don't think I would have been happy with an off-the-shelf setup from someone like H+R, or Eibach, after feeling what a car setup like mine feels like.

I also think that the author of the article has thought too much about the subject, because honestly, the only people that will be doing the things he is talking about (like heim joints on the bars) are those looking for that last 1/10th off their lap times, IE a track only car. A dual purpose car will still benefit greatly from a decently setup adjustable suspension and be more than adequate for track or street, IMO. And, just due to the nature of the setups available for any of our cars, its already compromised, unless you go totally custom, using 4-way shocks, adjustable end everything, etc. Hell, I can only get a camber plate set for a pretty big chunk of change, and I'm stuck with the factory control arms, unless I design my own. If you take into consideration what he wrote, it'd be pointless for me to run an adjustable setup, since I can't make all those final adjustments. But, I like the options I do have now, thanks to the adjustable setup. It honestly doesn't matter if you track your car or not, as long as its setup properly, and you car comfortable driving it.

Hopefully that made sense...If not, oh well.
Old 01-29-2003, 09:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Agreed
Old 01-29-2003, 11:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Likewise but, for instance, Stasis will balance the four corners as part of the install. Is there..

...an installer in SoCal that will do the same?
Old 01-30-2003, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I heard about that....

unfortunately I live in TX and I'm not sure if a set of scales even exists here. Not sure of any shops in SoCal.

Quick Reply: Any advice for purchasing coilovers?