Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Anybody know how to diagnose whether Ive got a bad coilover?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2002, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody know how to diagnose whether Ive got a bad coilover?

have bilstien pss9s on my 225TT. No matter what I do to ride height settings driver side rear always seems to sag about an inch lower than other four corners.. shocks are set at 1 front and 3 rear. (1-9 settings with 1 being stiffest)ride height is about 26 all the way around except for the sagging rear...car pushes and has bad oversteer on left handed bends...on right handed bends seems saggy but not to bad... rear is very floaty in feeling... did push test on back of car...some bounce on drivers side shock but still feels very stiff... coils on rear driver side are fully compressed and touching...on passenger side rear looks about normal with only two of the coils on the spring contacting each other...any opinions on this...??? coilovers are about two months old..tires are in perfect shape..no structural damage to car.. could it be a bad spring?? or a bad shock? shock does not appear to be damaged or leaking and adjusting the rebound settings does appear to change the shocks dampening...spring looks squished. big thanks for any help...its driving me crazy...i dont have a spring compressor...
Old 11-08-2002, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The shock doesn't affect the ride height....

just the spring, and it's position on the shock.

Try swapping the spring on one side to the other, without touching your ride hieght adjustments, and see what happens.
If the sag moves, it's the spring.
If it doesn't, then try moving the shock and spring from side to side.
If the sag still doesn't move, it's a problem with the car itself. If it does, then there might be a problem with the spring perch on the shock.

FWIW, with coilovers, the best way to set the car up is with corner balancing, and this could result in a slightly uneven ride height.