Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Is anybody using a Boost Controller or Air Fuel Controller (ex. Apexi, Blitz) ????

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2001, 08:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is anybody using a Boost Controller or Air Fuel Controller (ex. Apexi, Blitz) ????

How does/would the ECU react? Check engine light? Limp mode?

Any tips on install?
Old 10-08-2001, 09:11 PM

Default basically this is what happens...

when you install the boost controller it fools the ECU because it changes the ECU settings and send a new signal. it basically puts words in the ECU's mouth. the car will run good when you get it set up. You will encounter tons of problems with throttel respoinse and also turbo boost. you need to know the specific paramiters of the turbo to set the controller to. if you do it you are on your own risk... i highly don't recomend it because our cars has a built in boost controller in the ECU. You have better luck paying some one to make you a custom chip that uses all the capabilities of the turbo and ME7.x ecu. Give GIAC or Todd at AWE a call they have some mean chips in their computers you just need to convince them why you would want a strong chip.

I have some of the strong chips for my A4 and GTI golf they are CRAZY!!!! i see 18psi in my A4 and the GTI has a nice 20 psi it hits 21 and holds it till 5K on a cold morning but the ic gets heated up too fast so it pulls timing and the car goes from rocket to ***** in 1 second...

ask for race chips! they do exist i have a few and man oh man are they bad ***!

good luck
Juan M.
Werks of Art Tuning
Old 10-09-2001, 04:09 AM

Default I have tried...

I have sent GIAC a ton of email, left messages, etc... Not one response. Quite frankly I want nothing to do with them. Can't imagine if I was to get one of those chips and something happened how screwed I would be, especially since I won't get any help from them. I have been having boost issues and my Garrett chip going into limp mode for the past few weeks and can't get them to help.

I would rather have the ability to custom program my chip then be at the mercy of hardwired programs for the masses.

You mention custom chip programming. Any recommendations?

Also, any idea how the ECU would behave with an Air/Fuel controller that intercepts the signal to the MAF?
Old 10-09-2001, 05:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Please let me know if you find out any info about the Air/Fuel Controller...

I've been looking into one of these for may naturally aspirated 12V. It looks like there are 3 basic choiced:

- Split Second ARC2
- HKS Super AFR
- A'pexi Super AFC

The Split Second unit looks to have the least amount of functionality, and it is the most expensive. However, I have gotten excellent responses from their e-mail support. They've answered every one of my questions.

HKS is a little cheaper and has more functionality, but support is not quite as good. They did answer some questions, but weren't quite as helpful as the Split Second guys.

The A'pexi unit is by far the "coolest" looking, and I think it has similar functionality to the HKS unit. However, I have not even been able to find a support contact. I believe the A'pexi unit is the cheapest.

I probably won't be getting one until early spring, so let me know if you find out anything.

Thanks,
Scott
Old 10-09-2001, 10:28 AM

You'll probably still need a chip for the timing...
Old 10-10-2001, 04:51 PM

Default Hmm... yes getting a hold of some one @ GIAC is hard but....

I would recomend calling his local dealers about this limp situation. CMH had this problem which is now a thing of the past. GIAC just gave him the chip 2 weeks ago so he is testing it out now. i recomend to call AWE and speak to Todd he should be getting the new chips. if not try PES they have some new GIAC stuff.

i do agree with getting a hold of G but keep in mind the guy works 60hrs a week. So he is tired and most of his dealers know every thing there is about the chips. the top 3 guys i would say is PES, AWE, DSR. give them a call and explain to them your problem. they can possibly get in touch with GIAC direct and get your thing corrected.

I deal with GIAC so i get all my custom from them