Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Anyone have word of what happened at Gratton? Ralph Ridge killed.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2001, 09:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have word of what happened at Gratton? Ralph Ridge killed.

From AutoWeek:

SCCA Club racer fatally injured (05/31/2001)

Ralph W. Ridge III, of Grosse Ile, Mich., was fatally injured May 26th during an SCCA Club Racing Double Regional event at Grattan Raceway, near Grand Rapids, Mich.

Ridge, 54, was involved in a single-car accident coming out of turn nine while driving a Formula Vee. He was then transported to United Memorial Hospital in Greenville, Mich., where he was pronounced dead.

Ridge, a longtime Formula Vee competitor and a licensed driver for over 18 years, is survived by his wife.

As usual, the tunnel rats at SCCA have their asses low and gear packed tight...reporting little more than AW.
Old 06-04-2001, 11:58 PM
Elder Member

Default Ralph had a heart attack while in the lead ....

The following was posted on the Formula Ford Underground.

.................................................. .......................................

A sad day at Grattan

Posted by Jim Clifton on 5/31/2001, 10:08 am

Dayle Frame had mentioned in a previous post about a fellow driver who died this past weekend. Here is an update and hopefully I have my facts straight. I got most of the info from a person who had to do the hospital run with the family and was in contact with the corner workers and ambulance personnel.

Formula Vee driver, Ralph Ridge, passed away this weekend after a massive coronary during Saturday's race at Grattan, MI. He hit the guardrail at pit entrance head on. There were no skid marks and very little damage to car and guardrail. The cornerworkers rushed to his aid and he had no pulse. They tried reviving him but to no avail. They said he died before impact. If there is a good thing to say, it is that he died doing what he loved to do and he just drove off into the next life.

Also, if there is a relief about it as well, it is that his death was not a result of driver error, mechanical failure, or faulty safety equipment. Although, I personally did not know him, friends of mine did, and said he was a super guy. When something like this occurs, it doesn't matter whether we knew the person or not, they are a part of our SCCA racing family and it hits home hard! He was from Detroit region and a long standing CenDiv Series Regional Champion in FV for many years. Our thoughts and prayers go out to Ralph and his family, especially to his new bride of only 3 weeks. (I am sorry I didn't get her name) She needs a lot of support right now. If anyone from Detroit region has the address of where and who to send memorials to, would you please post them? And Please!....EVERYONE TAKE CARE OF THEMSELVES AND TAKE CARE OF EACH OTHER!!! The season is young and we have had way too many deaths, and bad accidents amongst the whole racing family this year! In this sad time I still wish Happy Racing to ALL!

Ralph had been dicing it out with another Vee throughout the race. After the accident, the race was red flagged. At that point the race had enough laps completed that it was an official race and the finishing positions reverted back to previous lap... Ralph was declared the winner of the race!! God be with you Ralph!!!<ul><li><a href="http://server5.ezboard.com/bformulafordunderground.html">http://server5.ezboard.com/bformulafordunderground.html</a</li></ul>
Old 06-05-2001, 05:38 AM

Many thanks.
Old 06-05-2001, 04:56 PM

Bummer... That was my home track.. (used to be Detroit member)..
Old 06-07-2001, 07:08 PM

OMG, he's from my home town. And I know Grattan like the back of my hand.