Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Anyone here run a custom EFI setup with a 1.8T and LARGE turbo setup?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2002, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Anyone here run a custom EFI setup with a 1.8T and LARGE turbo setup?

Email me if you did...I'd like to chew the fat.
Old 02-25-2002, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I had thought about it, I'm still on the fence.....

The cost of an EEPROM programmer ($500) plus the money I could get for selling my chip & ECU ($700) and a couple more bucks, I could get an aftermarket system.

The TEC-III and the Autronic were the two units that I was looking at.

The only downside is the setup that is required.

Now that I'm doing a 2.0 conversion and a big turbo, I may still do it, it depends on how hard it will be for me to get a custom chip done....
Old 02-25-2002, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Have you been able to figure out the difference between the TEC II and TEC III?

I haven't been able to figure out what the TEC III brings to the table (or even if its available for sale yet).

Scott
Old 02-25-2002, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Have you been able to figure out the difference between the TEC II and TEC III?

There are many improvements in the TEC-III over the TEC-II, the most important ones I have seen are Sequential Fuel Injection, On-Board Data acquisition, additional GPO outputs, better rev-limiters, and much better software, it will be a few 100$ more than the TEC-II. As well they have improved the conectors and made the ecu separate from the coils. I believe they have started to ship the first few units. It's a big improvement, but I don't have any plans of trading in my TEC-II for a III
Old 02-25-2002, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thanks Rob. It sounds like that if one were to start from scratch, the TEC III would be the only

way to go.
Old 02-25-2002, 03:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default IIRC, The TEC III is coming out this month....

One place had it listed for $1850.....
Old 02-26-2002, 02:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: I had thought about it, I'm still on the fence.....

What are using to get to 2.0L ?
what Crank?
pistons?
compression ratio?
Ive been looking but have only been able to find the rediculously expensive MTM 2.0 kit.
There's lots of 2L info for stroking VW blocks but nothing on Audi blocks.
Im still waiting for ATP to finish their T3/T04E Audi kit, but am getting a little impatient and might just order the kit minus the ecu chip and then put a programmable motronic ecu in.
Old 02-26-2002, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'm not sure where you guys are located (except for Rob in TX), but I called Electromotive

to find out if they could reccomend any installers within 5 hours of where I live (Pittsburgh, PA). The guy I spoke to didn't hesitiate and answered EIP Tuning in Westminster, MD. (410) 871-0406

He said that they sometimes take a while, but would have no trouble with working on Audis. He even said they have installed the system in an A4 1.8T.

Interestingly enough, when I told the guy from Electromotive that I had an A4, he asked me if it was a 12V! I was very suprised and pleased that he knew enough about A4s that he pulled that right off the top of his head.

Scott
Old 02-26-2002, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default EIP's website

Rob, if you're looking for people with experience, you may want to give these guys a call.

I'm not planning on anything like this until July or August, but please keep me updated with anything you find out. I know that our cars are sufficiently different, but you know enough about the 12V that you'll certainly have good insight whenever I actually do something like this.

Scott<ul><li><a href="http://www.eiptuning.com/">EIP Tuning Web</a></li></ul>
Old 02-26-2002, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Here's a hint:

The 1.8 Audi block IS a VW block, anything you can do to VW block, you can do to the Audi block.

BUT, there are some potential problems, mainly being the impulse wheel on the crank (inside the block, by the rear main)

I've got a block to experiment with this weekend, I'll have a full report afterwards....

Quick Reply: Anyone here run a custom EFI setup with a 1.8T and LARGE turbo setup?