Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Anyone here running an oil sump? (more)

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2000, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone here running an oil sump? (more)

Was wondering if anyone who races their car uses an oil sump. I don't really race on the track, but I know with these oil sumps you can pre lube before start-up. We have some very cold mornings here in Boston and I thought pre-lubing would be great for the engine. I was also wondering if you need a remote oil filter for this? Tia Mike
Old 12-06-2000, 03:17 PM

Default Nope, but...

You can run manual/auto, pre/post shutdown, double/no filter. But, it's all irrelevant. You are just adding another couple of lines and joints to fail.

Just use a full-synthetic and factory filter, and the right OIL VISCOSITY. Yes, I said it. 0w30 or 5w30.

The only reason to run an accusump is if you don't have a baffled oil pan or own the lovely 944 and m30 M3 (massively prone to eat bearings).
Old 12-06-2000, 06:07 PM
PWR
AudiWorld Member

Default Boston does not get cold in the winter

It's a mater of perspective but, Boston does not get cold in the winter when compared to the upper mid-west or Canadian winters. Getting into a car when the ambient temperatures are in the -30 to -35 deg. C range is what I would call getting cold. Also, that's without the wind factored in to the equation.

However, I've been using synthetic oils since 1986 and it does make a difference on start up. If you're concerned about startup lubrication there are two things you can do.

1) Use a 5-30w or even a 5-50w oil (I've used 5-50w for years with no ill effects on high mileage engines)
2) Install a block heater. The block heater will warm up the engine block, coolant and oil for quicker and easier starts (I haven't used a block heater in years)

Also, I wouldn't use the extended run oils such as redline ... etc. as oil in the colder weather seems to retain more water and leaves milky residue (this was observed in a 2.0L Jetta motor). Change the oil as per manufacture recommendations and you'll be alright.

Cheers
Old 12-06-2000, 08:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You mean like an Accusump ?

You can install them without a remote filter, as long as you get the correct sandwich plate for your oil filter. Just be really careful about plumbing the system, and MAKE SURE YOU ORIENT THE CHECKVALVE PROPERLY.

But, for a street car....don't bother. A waste of time in a street car. Actually, a waste of time in many race cars too. If you don't have an oil starvation problem, and you're running the proper level of good quality oil, you don't need it. An Accusump and the associated hoses, fitting and valves are large, hard to locate under the hood (I've usually put them inside the passenger compartment), and make changing your oil (draining the whole damn thing) a messy pain in the ***.

There are several race engine builders who will tell you that if you put an Accusump in the car and the motor grenades, they don't want to hear about it (You west coast guys all know who Dave Rebello is - ask Dave about Accusumps....hehehehe).