Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Anyone know how to put the car into Service Mode?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2004, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone know how to put the car into Service Mode?

I have to change my timing belt soon and wanted to put the car into service mode instead of taking the whole front end apart because I heard it's a whole lot easier. Is there a write-up out there that says how to do this? TIA.
Old 07-23-2004, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The service position is basically loosening the top retaining pins so you can move the lock carrier

up to access the belts more easily. I've been involved with 4 TB changes and I personally find it easier to disconnect the connectors next to the power steering cover and then unbolting the entire lock carrier (with radiator attached). You'll still need to swing the AC condenser out of the way but that will take 5 minutes. You'll just need to unbolt the screws holding the lock carrier in and then the bumper stops.

It's not really that much more work and it makes it VERY easy to see what you are unbolting.
Old 07-23-2004, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default so you recommend doing it the way it's told in the Tech writeup then?

You make it sound so easy, but I'm really dreading the work. I've never done this before. Just ordered the Ultimate kit though. What about all the other stuff that it comes with...any write-up on how to install them? ie. water pump, etc. TIA
Old 07-26-2004, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sorry...I don't mean to make it sound too easy. To be honest though, if you use...

common sense, take your time and have a 2nd person help you remove things, you'll be amazed at the straightforward nature this job is. The critical parts are marking the camshaft and crankshaft positions. The only difference I would recommend with respect to the writeups is to out the cam at TDC. There is a natural mark on the camshaft gear that you can align with the TB cover. Prior to my first TB attempt, I had only the experience of doing an oil change. I had no other prior experience working on a car. I had to motivate myself over and over by studying BOTH write-ups. Once I took the front end apart, my confidence level grew. Just have a friend help out and be a second set of eyes, hands, and opinion.

Good luck!