Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

anyone running a tie bar on their a4? Was wondering how much they cost and

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2000, 08:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone running a tie bar on their a4? Was wondering how much they cost and

if they are worth it. Is it a diy install? TIA Mike
Old 11-13-2000, 10:04 AM

Default Sorry man, but your wrong on this one

I had a lower tie bar and it completely changed
the feeling in the front of the car. I had to remove it because it would rub against my aftermarket downpipe, and now I can't take turns as aggressively as I used to. I have an upper and lower tie bar (had). The upper one seemed to make the little difference, but I definately recommend a lower tie bar. Neuspeed is around $185, or you can get the stock one (A4 00 and on) from Clair, etc.
Old 11-13-2000, 10:21 AM
SKS

Default If you put some sticky tires on your car (Hoosiers, etc.) you definetely need them...Ron

hasn't been stiff in years, pretty much useless dead weight is right.
Old 11-13-2000, 10:35 AM

Default Perceptions vs. lighter wallets...

Audi slowly has put out a couple of minor chassis braces on over the past two years. I don't have them and I've looked at the mounting points and I cannot find any evidence of paint cracking. I've run r-tires and autocrossed it heavily. I think with the fatty S4 it is certainly helpful.

But for a 1.8 it is a waste of time.

The top bar is a copycat design from mac strut cars, doh. And the bottom bar does what? Replaces a subframe bar. OK. What are the chassis stiffness improvement percentages? Too damn lazy to test the product? Don't know what chassis deflection is? But they do sell cool stickers.

Both of there are must haves in mac strut cars. But the A4 is a double a-arm design. Nobody has ever offered ANY evidence that the chassis can be made functionally stiffer without putting a full cage in. It would be very easy to test, and if they were honest in the least they would explain how they developed the design to accomplish anything other than advertise the name.
Old 11-13-2000, 11:57 AM

Default the lower subframe brace is the one I was talking about, I have a 99.5 and there is one there

I was wondering if someone had the neuspeed and how well it worked.
Old 11-13-2000, 01:46 PM

For pre 00 it's not a replacement, there is none in the first place. Read posts 1st, then comment.
Old 11-13-2000, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default I ran the strut tower brace and Neuspeed lower tie bar...

and the car is definitely better behaved in the corners. I recommend it to anyone
Old 11-13-2000, 03:11 PM

Default Brilliant post...

If you bothered to read mine, I mentioned that my early model doesn't come with one, but it still shows no signs of stress cracking. So what are the real numbers for deflection with and without the bar? Or, should I use monosyllables?
Old 11-13-2000, 03:44 PM

Yeah, but he was talking about pre 00... I'll use little words for YOU next time.
Old 11-13-2000, 04:49 PM
HJB
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default That second firewall is pretty cheesy... you can easily flex it by hand.

Also, it's just spot welded to the strut housings. one person reported breaking those spot welds and bending the second firewall!!

Quick Reply: anyone running a tie bar on their a4? Was wondering how much they cost and