Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

anyone use a straight pipe catback on a turboed car?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2001, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone use a straight pipe catback on a turboed car?

Given that the turbo acts as a muffler, I'm considering replacing my 200tq's stock catback with a 3" pipe. The stock system has 2 cats, with parallel pipes with center resonators and a dual in/out rear muffler. It is very quiet. I'm after a lot more growl and as free a flow as the law allows. Plus, I'm a cheap @#*. Another advantage over stock would be the 60-75 lbs lost in the swap.

Any BTDT? Sound files? TIA,
Old 08-25-2001, 04:45 PM

Default Re: anyone use a straight pipe catback on a turboed car?

If you want any advice: I wouldn't recommend not running a muffler. Believe it or not, most turbo cars are actually louder than naturally aspired cars. Although the turbo might muffle SOME engine noise, the BOOST more than makes up for that. If you remove both mufflers, your car will be WAY too loud (and annoying too). I recommend you buy a universal muffler and have someone connect it, or remove the center resonators.
Old 08-26-2001, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I've got a 3" straight through system on my XR4Ti..

and it's LOUD. No cat, and a Dynomax Race Magnum "Bullet" muffler. It's a muffler in the loosest sense of the word.

Lots of power, but lots of noise. I plan on swapping in a Magnaflow muffler in place of the Dynomax. I've heard good things about them.
Old 08-27-2001, 12:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Magnaflow experiences and NEW EBC green stuff pads and rotors inside

I had a 3" racing cat under the car into a centre straight through magnaflow to a rear straight through magnaflow and it was raspy loud and droned on any more than light load.
I replaced the rear with a single S magnaflow which reduced the rasp noise and drone slightly, but i still got headaches from it on the highway.
I recently fitted a 12" long 3" Hot dog between the centre magnaflow and the rear and it got a lot worse! (Thats how the system was when i recently dynoed it) I then pulled everything from the 3" cat back and replaced with quality 2 x 3" straight through stainless mufflers AU$600 each! (centre and rear) The noise is now beautiful music to my ears... zero droning and a great even deeper note than before with no harshness.. the difference is like night and day.. even the idle sounds meatier without intruding into the cabin. The guys think the butt dyno gained another 10HP.. that might be a bit optimistic, but the car definetly feels stronger than before.
This is now the ultimate 3" system. I will have to ask the guys the brand of the mufflers as I have forgotten and the invoice doesnt say.

I also had EBC green pads fitted front and rear and the EBC slotted and "blind" drilled front rotors and re-machined rear rotors. I bedded them in over the weekend and wow what a difference to braking. I was initially a little disappointed as the stock setup really grabs well in low temp light pressure situations. But after some spirited driving and consistent fade free braking that stops me at least 30% quicker than stock.. NO KIDDING!!! Im sold!!! I used to get BAD fade and shudder but now its just smooth eye popping braking. The operating temp is from as low as 150C to 550C so initial bite is ok, although pedal effort is slightly increased until their upto temp. They Quote 0C to 550C but in reality looking at the graph that came with them they dont work until 150C-200C.. 150C is easy to achieve even in light traffic and the bite more than makes up for any loss anyway.
The braking system sounds different too, more purposeful, it kind of whines under heavy braking.
Im wrapped!!!!!! Its still not a perfect track setup, but some EBC red pads would probably do the trick on the track... (300C upto 750C) or yellows if your really serious for upto 900C (better think about better rotors for that temp!)
The best thing about the pads is the high kevlar content which is easy on rotors and creates virtually no brakedust!!!!!!!!!!! NO MORE BLACK RIMS!!!!!
Old 08-27-2001, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

and virtually no more dust!