Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Anyone using a SAFC....

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2004, 07:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone using a SAFC....

Just wondering if you are using a particular hotwire MAF setting. I installed one this weekend. Very easy once I searched the shop manual for pinouts. I'll post wire color soon.

Its a nice, powerful, yet dangerous toy.
Old 09-21-2004, 12:51 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I've been running one for a couple years......

IMO, it's a necessity for a hybrid turbo setup. But hard to tune if you don't have a wideband & EGTS. Plus, once you set it, the ECU can adapt over it, to get it's desired readings anyways, to a certain extent.
Old 09-21-2004, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I will be installing an egt and now that widebands are relatively cheap...

thats also on the shopping list.

I'm comfortable with them from my DSM days. I know its no standalone substitute, but I figure it'll be enough to make trim off some rough edges.

Did you select a specific MAF or did you just leave it at 01?

Thanks for the feedback BTW!
Old 09-22-2004, 01:20 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Uh, yea, leave it at 01......

Those MAF selections are for various other vehicles(supra TT, silvia, etc) that come with dual mafs, and how to set up the safc to work with them.

My only problem with the SAFC is, when I lift off the throttle it goes rich, just for a second. Knowing this, I drive a little differently, and it never gives me any trouble. But, if you get back into it too soon after lifting, it'll flood, bog & buck all crazy. I wish I knew how to go into the safc to fix that, if it's even possible. This would also be much easier if I read japanese, eh?
Old 09-22-2004, 06:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Thats a simple fix for the SAFC....

Just use the Deceleration Air Flow control setting. When set up this clamps the voltage from the MAF to a peak level when you let off the gas.

This was designed to let you vent a BOV to the air without stalling.

If you need english intructions, just check the site. Although you will need the latest version of Acrobat reader since even though the text is English, it might have been coded with some Japanese.<ul><li><a href="http://www.apexi-usa.com/documentation.asp">Apexi english docs</a></li></ul>