Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

AP Racing brakes install... need some procedure help...

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2003, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AP Racing brakes install... need some procedure help...

I currently have a stock TT brake setup. I purchased a set of AP racing brakes w/SS line as a replacement for the front.

I don't really have any problems with the understanding of the install until I get to the point of installing the SS line/bleeding the brakes.

Currently the SS lines are installed on the AP brakes. I know to take apart the current TT rotor assembly, and set aside the existing stock caliper, but not remove it yet. My question is what comes first, so I bleed the brakes with new DOT 4 fluid (NAPA brand for now- no decent shops in the area). Then once the new fluid is in the system do I install the new caliper SS lines? OR do I leave everything alone, and disconnect the stock line, and install the SS line... then bleed the brakes though the new caliper.

With that, I bought some clear plastic hose to do you normal pump bleed procedure... pump 3-4 times until firm... hold the pedal down and slightly open the bleed valve on the caliper. Close valve and re-pump the brakes. Do this until I get a good flow coming out of the calipers with little to NO bubbles at all in the fluid. Is this correct? Do I just keep doing this until I see the new fluid color coming into the jar or other reservoir?

If I do this full replacement I have to go to all of the corners correct? How do I release all the ABS pistons to release any other brake fluid trapped inside that system- I have a VAG COM.

Finally in the reservoir do I put an inch or 2 of water and place the hose in it, as to not allow any air to get back in, or by not letting go of the brake pedal does that do the same job?

Thanks, sorry for the lame questions I am sure, but this is my first brake job.
Old 07-29-2003, 05:02 PM

Default install the hardware, then bleed until you see clear/new colored fluid with no bubbles

as for the bleeding procedure, id reccomend you buy a Power bleeder & save yourself the hassle... bleeding brakes maually is a PITA
Old 07-29-2003, 09:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: install the hardware, then bleed until you see clear/new colored fluid with no bubbles

yup<ul><li><a href="http://www.motiveproducts.com/">http://www.motiveproducts.com/</a</li></ul>