Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

APR engine mount installed this a.m. (AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!)

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2000, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default APR engine mount installed this a.m. (AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!)

needed to get that off my chest. (all this is on my 99.5 1.8TQMS)

first of all, my front bumper would not come off. I almost gave myself a hernia pulling "up and out" on the passenger side of the bumper.

So I move to the driver side (after 15 minutes of pulling on passenger side). I pull...wham! It pops off...AND I break one of the windshield fluid connectors. washer fluid flying everywhere...can't quite reach my bucket....AAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!

Ok, drained the lines, everything else is straightforward until: Lord have mercy that sunuvabitch stock rubber mount will NOT MOVE. You have to keep pressure on the underside of the radiator to keep the weight off the mount (it likes to rest up against the metal mounting spot on the engine), then you have to somehow get it off. Yeah...10 minutes of that and I went to the utility knife (praying the WHOLE time that the new one would go on more easily). Cut that sucker right up the side, cussed it, fought it, ripped its sorry excuse for a sack of s**t outta there.

K, new one went on MUCH easier...put everything back together (deleted one connector in my windshield fluid lines works ok tho'...) and only have had about 5 minutes of drive time.

First thing: MUCH added vibration at idle. I don't mind, but if you're into comfort, forget this mod. Shifting is so much smoother...I can hardly believe it.

more feedback later.

steve
Old 11-24-2000, 09:55 AM

Default Now for the bad news.

I installed my APR mount in less thn 20 mintes without removing the bumper...

Someone here sugested that You can do it without removing the fasia. I saw NO need to remove it.. I unbolted the flange on the stock one and pryed the old one out.. I think I had to loosten a bracket but thats about it..

I agree on the vibration. But the driveline is solid now. I like it.

Clark
Old 11-24-2000, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default shifter movement

Does it get rid of the shifter movement on acceleration/deceleration?
I noticed on mine when in 1,3,5th gears, when getting on/off the gas the shifter would move forward/back a little. It's just kinda annoying. This is with a stock shifter.
Old 11-24-2000, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Really... I get NO vibration at all, but I have a V6. It is a bit different
Old 11-24-2000, 04:57 PM

Default Mine moves less.

I still get a little movement of the shifter in on/off gas changes. But it's less that before I did the APR engine mount.

I swear the first time I drove the car really hard after the engine mount, the vibiration at idle got better. It was an autox where a friend and I double drove the car. That evening the idle seemed smoother than the previous week since installing the new mount. Maybe they just need to settle in a bit.

Rich
Old 11-24-2000, 05:52 PM
EdP
AudiWorld Uber User

Default I notice a little bit more vibration, but wouldn't call it alot....

car feels tighter. Agree about that fact if you're into Lexus comfort, this is not the mod for you....
Old 11-24-2000, 07:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default having gone from apr exhaust to apr exhaust + engine mount...

a significant amount of noise and vibration is induced solely by the engine mount.

There is now an exhaust drone under acceleration from about 2000 RPM to 3000 RPM where one was almost non-existant before. Noise is louder at all rpm, and idle, as i said before.

steve
Old 11-24-2000, 07:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Old 11-24-2000, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I think the situation begs for a dual composition mount...

soft core to eliminate the vibrations, but hard shell to transmit the real shocks.

as someone mentioned, I'm planning to "settle it in" tomorrow by a bit of spirited driving.

More then...

steve
Old 11-24-2000, 07:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Quick Reply: APR engine mount installed this a.m. (AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!)