Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

APR Stage III at Auto-X w/ a the New ver.2 software....

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2001, 02:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default APR Stage III at Auto-X w/ a the New ver.2 software....

well, the DBW Stage III (mine anyways) hauls!!
first ver. software had some very very peaky boost onset at 3100+/- rpms, No More!!

Power is Still abrupt, but more manageable.
Good top end (Mr.Spock got a ride) on the roads.

Audiboy got a ride around the auto-x course.
(Audiboy, fast, smooth, impressive???)

Bryce, mobrazen, esses, Mr.Spock.....any thoughts??
Compared to S4's and others, was my 1.8 Fast??
My overall times were'nt 8(, but, as a spectator
you were standing in the fast part of the course.
What are your thoughts??

I still feel, the low end is lost, when you're asking for abrupt power. It just won't hit until 3100+/- rpms. I hope we can get it down to more like 2300 aprox. it would be such a nice power band.

Other than that, Stage III is quite the set-up!!
Turbo pulls right into redline! (Mr.Spock??)
Definately an excellent Track kit! But, I want it for Auto-X mainly, and to get girls 8-)

But, I want my low end.

3" exhaust had been mentioned.....any input to this for low rev, low end abrupt power demands???

thanks for reading, Audi on!!
ps. Thanks Brett!!! you the man!
Old 04-02-2001, 02:35 PM
Elder Member

Default exhausts help much more at the high end than low

Since at 3000rpm you are pushing about half as much air through the engine as at 6000rpm. So any exhaust (like stock) which functions well at all at 6000rpm is going to breathe like a dream at 3000rpm.
Old 04-02-2001, 02:50 PM
EdP
AudiWorld Uber User

Default I'm gonna disagree with you there....

I'd suspect the added backpressure on the 2.25 pipe is slowing down the spoolup of the turbo. The reason I say this is my stage 3 with APR's version 2 exhaust (and also with version1) at 2.5", spools up FAST and I get 2 psi at 1800rpms, and 8 psi at 2400rpms. Mine is DEFINITELY spooling up much faster that Reyhey's. If need be I can document this with the boost gauge I have.
Old 04-02-2001, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default It was indeed fast and smooth but you are right, the power was a tad too late to be effective...

specially on the tight setup we had on Saturday. It would have been nice to see how that felt on Sunday with a more wide open and smoother course.

Looks like you will have to practice clutch in, throttle blippin while you are braking on the turns driving style to keep your boost up until a better program for you car comes around. Your exit speed felt a tad like my 12V until the mad whoosh yeehaa power came, but then you had to brake again 2 seconds later

My second day, I was at a loss for traction on a couple of turns. My car acted like a rear wheel drive with open diffs. But all in all, I think our Audi's where in the upper percentile of performance yesterday he he. I had a lot of folks come ask about my car after the event.
Old 04-02-2001, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default A 225 TTC solved this problem while staying in stock class -

he has a straight pipe (2.5") so short, it barely exited the car. Results, AS domination. Another Audi up there in the ranks of winning cars, and a treat to the S2000's and so forth in that same class. I felt good handing over his time slips, and when the MCoupes came in, I smiled, "nice job, here's your time", and when they left, "he he but not enough to beat the TT" ;P
Old 04-02-2001, 03:11 PM

You need downpipes, and eliminate the cats!
Old 04-02-2001, 03:24 PM
SKS

Default Can you get around the DBW brake/throttle mode? With the cable

cars you can leave your foot in it and left foot brake HARD, wear your brakes out, melt valve stems, and keep your boost up. There are drivers that are great, and then there are great turbo drivers, it's a different deal...I'm trying to be at least good at it...someday.
Old 04-02-2001, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Well ReyHey . . .

Standing where I was, I'd have to agree w/you about the low end. Corey/Sharon & the other Imola whipped down that straight into the S-turns and accelerated fast & with ease. Your boost didn't come in until right before you had to make the short left after the starting straight. We could tell you were on it and we definitely heard the turbo spool (Whoa boy! :-) but your pickup seemed slow. If you could get S4-like torque (@ 1850rpm) you might even beat Corey! Just my observations.
Old 04-02-2001, 04:32 PM
Elder Member

Default interesting point, something I hadn't thought of

Okay, I'll change my statement. Generally, exhausts only help at the high end. Not always.

Note that in the situation you speak of, it wouldn't show up on a dyno because it isn't true in steady state operation. However, it is a real increase in power, even if it isn't as easy to document as some other things.

Is there a similar result for non-turbo cars? There could be some effect on scavinging and so a synergistic effect on power. Shouldn't be nearly as pronounced though.

Wow, every time I see numbers from the A4 folks, I see how different a world it is from the S4 (or A6 2.7T which I have). We're already developing a buttload of torque and so presumably a lot of boost (full unmod boost, or 6-8psi) at 1850RPM. Note that this is without any modifications.

These things continually help me appreciate even more how well the 1.8T takes to power mods and how smart the people are who come up with them.
Old 04-02-2001, 05:09 PM
EdP
AudiWorld Uber User

Default You are correct... In a steady state, the turbo is usually already spooled up....

and the benefits of the larger pipe is missed; it's only seen in the on the road experience.

As for the NA engines, you WANT backpressure, or you lose the bottom end and scavenging. The Turbo is force induced, so has much less need for backpressure (but needs SOME).

Quick Reply: APR Stage III at Auto-X w/ a the New ver.2 software....