Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

APR Stage III install, part 1 (long)

Old 06-30-2002, 07:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default APR Stage III install, part 1 (long)

I just finished putting in the APR stage III in my '99 A4. A little personal info, since I think knowing where someone is coming from gives a little more insight into someone's opinion. I'm a 32 y.o. physician. I grew up helping my father who owns a repair shop, so I have a decent mechanical background. I had access to a hoist and a full shop loaded with tools (minus my VAGCOM, because I forgot the cable, more on this later).

APR's parts are top notch, but their stage III instructions are lacking. I can't complain because they were up front about this when I talked on the phone, and were willing to answer questions if needed. Unfortunately most of my questions arose on the weekend at night. Total time was about 22hrs. Although I also put on a APR's exhaust and put in an upgraded timing belt. I also broke an exhuast stud. In retro spect I don't believe APR's stated torque spec of 45lbs. Putting the exhaust manifold nuts back on are a huge pain. I even bought some new, smaller design universal 12mm sockets to aide in this painful portion. Even with this help, hand wrenching at impossible angles were needed. Running the oil and turbo lines is a bit of a pain also. I've read a lot about people having problems with the motor mount, which ended up being very easy without any vibration problems. A torch was needed to get the exhaust bolts off of the catalytic converter. One of the fitting broke on the headlight washers which I replaced. By comparison the timing belt install was easy. Taking off the front of the car, removing the radiator and condensor made the rest of the install easy for the turbo kit. I would also have to see I haven't seen a 12mm socket needed so darn much in my life along with the 5mm & 6mm hex, what is up with that? All and all it wasn't terrible, just time consuming. For everyone who has done this in their driveway or home garage, may god have mercy on your souls! If anyone has any questions or wants any install tips let me know. If you have doubts about doing the install, don't do it. Now where is that Stage III bulletin board I read about I think I deserve to be on it now! I'll post my driving impressions later.
Old 06-30-2002, 08:19 PM

Default Welcome to the family...

E-mail Ed Palisoc at ed@palisoc.net for access to the Stage 3 forum.
Old 06-30-2002, 08:25 PM

Default hehe....

how are the knuckles?

congrats!
Old 06-30-2002, 08:27 PM

Default I home installed in my garage. No lift and it took around 11hrs. I wasted several

hours trying to get the engine rocked over far enough to get clearence for the assembled turbo.cat/manifold. I finally loosened the passengers motor mount and used a 2x4 cut to ~16inches wedged between the head and the inside fender support at the front.
For future reference:
1. Had you posted you were going to do the install a few of us would have gladly given you home phone numbers to call w/ questions.
2. The manifold bolts should torque to 18 lb-ft
3. Access to all save 3 manifold bolts can be gained by using a socket/rathchet or a common open end / box wrench from behind the manifold. The others can be accessed by buying a cheap wrench and bending it to a deeper offset.

Glad you got it installed and enjoy!!

Drop me an email and I'll send you info to get hooked up w/ the forum.
Old 07-01-2002, 02:22 AM

Default 11hours? gad zoox. it took me and dustin about 22hours and an extra $80 in tools in his garage. =/

but overall .. nothing complicated. just time consuming. and DAMN that exhaust manifold. =)
Old 07-01-2002, 03:39 AM

Congrats.. You'll love the kit.. Now just image doing the install/uninstall 4 times =(
Old 07-01-2002, 04:58 AM

Default Like I said .. bend a wrench to get the correct offset and the manifold is pretty easy. The real

bugger was the oil supply line under the intake manifold. Thats what frustrated Jaime too. Once I figured out to pre-assemble the fittings and hose that went fairly easily but at fisrt trying to get the threads aligned was a pita. I'm glad APR supplies a better line tho .. that dinky OEM line is scary small.
Another cheat trick is a set of ballend metric allen wrenches .. buy a spare 6mm and cut the short leg off .. making a ~6 inch long socketable ballend extension. Makes pulling the OEM turbo support bracket and the axle heat shield bolts a piece of cake.
Old 07-01-2002, 05:46 AM

Default Re: hehe....

Some scrapes on the arms, I actually wore gloves which greatly reduced the hand trauma. Trust me I would have had a few big gashes on my hand. The heat shields are like razors.
Old 07-01-2002, 05:47 AM

Default Re: Congrats.. You'll love the kit.. Now just image doing the install/uninstall 4 times =(

I think the phrase "urge to kill myself growing" would be appropriate. Although the upside is you probably became very good at it.
Old 07-01-2002, 05:51 AM

Default Re: I home installed in my garage. No lift and it took around 11hrs. I wasted several

Yeah in retrospect for an 8mm bolt 45 lbs was way to high. Usually 12 lb is enough. I did have a short socketed universal with a 1/4 drive that worked well. I did think about bending a wrench but didn't need to do it in the end. With the front off the car I had no problem sliding in the turbo/manifold/cat unit. It was actually the easy part of the install. I should have thought about posting for help, but didn't think about it. I still can't believe that you did it in 11 hrs in your garage. I think even though I know how its done 11 hrs would be tight.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: APR Stage III install, part 1 (long)