Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

APR tuning causing bad ECU/ECM???

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 04:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default APR tuning causing bad ECU/ECM???

After tuning my '01 Allroad 2.7T Tiptronic with the APR stage 1 tuning, the check engine light came up and threw lean trim DTC on both banks, misfires at all cylinders, bad EGT sensor etc.. after a vaccuum/boost test it seems I have no leaks whatsoever... I changed the MAF, twice... , PCV, EGT sensor 2... ;-( I've been trouble shooting for a while now and getting pretty much discouraged at this point... I initially never thought the ECM tuning could have anything to do with it, until now.

Is it possible the APR tuning that was done on the car could be causing all these DTCs "without" throwing a bad ECU code? I have been looking up the net for possible answers and many folks with Audi/VW 1.8T have reported bad codes caused by check-sum errors from the AWE APR chip/flashing. BUt I have not found anything on 2.7T.

Anyone with experience?
Old 05-11-2010, 12:09 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default ...CEL'S!!!...curious as well!

...jus happened to catch your comment/problem while reading 'bout reviews of APR ECU upgrades...coincidentally, i jus' recently sent in my ECU to be reflashed w/ new programming & some additions as well...i ALSO have a 2001 A6 2.7T w/ Tip, and guess what...i have ALSO had the CEL issue w/ my chipped ECU...APR said if the car itself had probs, reflash wont fix...but the funny thing is, i have NEVER had any probs/cel's w/ the stock ECU, EVER!...even more so that when i got frustrated w/ it, yanked the chip, reinstalled the oem, POOF, evrything "magically" was self-resolved!...no cel's, no misfires, NO PROBS!!!...go figure???...figured it was worth a try to have it reflashed w/ "updated" code, if anything @ all had changed...i will have to wait for mine to be returned to me all shiny & warm from the reflash @ APR before i know anything has changed...if it has NOT changed anything, then i will have to speak again w/ keith & chris down in Alabammy for some sort of xplanation or source of solution to my cel woes...not sure if you, yourself have had any elightenment w/ your problem, or you just plain figured it out yourself but either way, i will try to post something about what i found if you show interest or curiosity as to whats going on w/ our rigs?...goodluck, may the rings guide you safely to new lands!

u really dont hear much of this problem, often?...curious, indeed...
Old 05-15-2010, 08:39 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default operating as designed...

...well, havent seen u repost...but figured i would tell u that u may possibly want to get a reflash of that ECU if no "mechanical failures" are the cause of ur codes...as i mentioned before, mine would throw codes ONLY in the "chipped" modes, but NOT in the stock mode, even w/ the "chipped" ECU still installed in the whip...NOW with my ECU reflashed, i have no codes, not a one...im not a programmer, so i have no fuzzy ideaz of what sort of magic a reflash made, BUT i do know the whip is pulling well...smooth & powerful...ZERO codes for the last two days from initial reinstallation...go figure??? hope u get it worked out for the better, sooner than later!!! keep it real...

-may the four rings guide you safely to new landz!!!