Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

atp clutch and flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2004, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default atp clutch and flywheel

i just would like to know what everyone thinks on this matter. i want to upgrade my clutch and flywheel to a atp clutch and flywheel setup. when i called my mechanic to see what he thought he said that the flywheel with rip my tranny apart, which i cant understand how. and i called another guy i know who has an older s4 with a turbo upgrade and roughly 400hp and he is using a stock clutch setup. he suggested that i jus replace my slipping clutch with a stock one, but i dont know how that would handle the power after i put on the turbo kit and he suggested not to get the flywheel but said a performance clutch would be fine. i am planning on putting the atp kit on my car later with a gt2871R and their beta software. so i just want to know if this would work. and if anyone has any suggestions on other options than atp. i use the car as my daily driver also.<ul><li><a href="http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&amp;Product_Code=ATP-VVW-133&amp;Category_Code=VWAudiCluch">http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&amp;Product_Code=ATP-VVW-133&amp;Category_Code=VWAudiCl
Old 10-12-2004, 01:44 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A 4 puck disc *IS NOT* a daily driver clutch.

I've got an AWE stage 3 lwfw/clutch in my car, dyno'd 335 whp, no slipping, got over 16k on it. Very daily driveable.

I'm not sure what angle your mechanic is going at, trying to say a lwfw will tear your tranny apart. I did have a stock clutch in my car, brand new, for about 45 days. Slipped like crazy, don't waste your time.
Old 10-12-2004, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

AMEN
Old 10-12-2004, 02:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: I've driven car with that clutch setup and love it....

It actually is very driveable and a combination that works far better then all the combo's I have tried in the past. I drove the ATP project silver car to drag strip, 3hrs away and it was perfect and was maybe even more streetabl;e then my old 6 puck combo. I think its a great matchup with the pressure plate.

On other clutches I have tried I found as well as another fast 1.8T that a couple other companies are packaging their clutches with a stock pressure plate.

Its my favorite clutch kit I have driven by far and has lasted a while on a couple cars I know about.

Stock clutch stands NO chance on that turbo which can make upwards of 350trq. to the wheels. The silver audi has 387wtrq and its holding perfect with loads of drag strip runs.
Old 10-12-2004, 03:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default yea we talked about this before.... :-(

SKIP SPEC!!!
Old 10-12-2004, 05:14 PM
Elder Member

Default If your looking for a strong clutch for your stock flywheel

I can get you what is equal to the old stage 2+ WOA setup. It is a full disk not a puck, it will feel and drive like your stock clutch while being able to hold the power that the upgraded turbo will put out.
Old 10-12-2004, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: I've driven car with that clutch setup and love it....

my mechanic told me that he put a flywheel and cluth in an s4 and a week later the tranny blew so that was his reasoning for telling me that it would rip my tranny apart. he said that i would have a lot of problems with it and i would have to get it fixed alot. i dont see why though. does having the new pressure plate help in the sense that is better to get a new pressure plate when you get a performance clutch and flywheel as opposed to just a stock one.but you think it would be ok to use for a daily driven car.

and also what is the lifespan of this clutch?
Old 10-13-2004, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: atp clutch and flywheel

so will my tranny be fine? because idono what to do. i just want to basically put the gt2871r and its supporting modifications but will this greatly affect the reliability of my car. should i just sell this car and get something else? i wanted to get a wrx because they are easier to get power out of but then they are not as classy. and an s4 i dont think wouldn't be to different from my car and i might run into the same issues. so after i do all the modifications and put all that money and effort into the car i dont want it just to mess up and have to get fixed all the time.

has anyone with a lwfw/clutch experience any damage to their transmission. will this clutch only last for 15k miles.

thank you everyone for you help i just want to come to some sort of closure on this so i know if i should be buying a stock clutch and just not doing any performance and sell the car. or if i should just buy the lwfw/clutch and make it faster but then is it goin to break is the question. or should i buy another faster car but then will i run into the same issues when modding it?
Old 10-13-2004, 04:03 PM

Default The A4 trannys are actually quite strong.

The Quattro drivetrain as a whole is really a stout drivetrain, with the exception of the stock clutch. You mentioned getting a WRX as an alternative. In the WRX community, the stock rex tranny is notorious for experiencing failures with modded cars. I have a friend with a pretty highly modified WRX and he went through 3 transmissions before he ponied up the cash for an STI tranny (which supposedly are pretty bulletproof). Plus you simply can't compare the feel &amp; the fit/finish of a WRX to an A4.
Old 10-13-2004, 08:34 PM

Default audi2ptzero has more than a little experience beating the living hell out of his stock tranny.

what are you up to now like 110k on that thing and its still going strong?

Quick Reply: atp clutch and flywheel