Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Can an intake manifold be damaged during a routine service maintenance?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 03:14 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can an intake manifold be damaged during a routine service maintenance?

Hi
I have a 2011 Audi Q5 (113K miles). I have never had any issues with my car at all. I took it in this week to finally get the Air Bag repaired from the Takata recall and while there decided to go ahead and do my 115K mile maintenance because they told me that I hadn't had a service done since March 2017. (side note: after I came back home and was rummaging during papers found where I indeed had the 105K service done just in December 2017 - about 5 months ago).

So I got my car back on yesterday, drove it home (about 2 miles from Audi dealer) and when I got in it today to drive to work, the Check Engine Light was on. I called the dealer and brought it back in to run diagnostic tests and now they are telling me that my Intake Manifold has a leak and this is just a strange coincidence. In no way did the service tech was in the location to damage the gaskets or manifold. When we looked under the trunk where he was topping off fluids etc was in the vicinity. I'm looking for guidance here because I haven't had any issues. Is this normal to replace at my mileage? and is there a potential that this could have been damaged during the service or maybe something else was repaired to cause this to show up earlier then it would have?

Thanks for any input!
Old 07-22-2018, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Unless you have them on camera you won’t be able to prove any damage was done if it was. All together I don’t think that this is an outcome of anything they have done. Good luck
Old 08-04-2018, 02:30 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Your lucky

Originally Posted by leshantice
Hi
I have a 2011 Audi Q5 (113K miles). I have never had any issues with my car at all. I took it in this week to finally get the Air Bag repaired from the Takata recall and while there decided to go ahead and do my 115K mile maintenance because they told me that I hadn't had a service done since March 2017. (side note: after I came back home and was rummaging during papers found where I indeed had the 105K service done just in December 2017 - about 5 months ago).

So I got my car back on yesterday, drove it home (about 2 miles from Audi dealer) and when I got in it today to drive to work, the Check Engine Light was on. I called the dealer and brought it back in to run diagnostic tests and now they are telling me that my Intake Manifold has a leak and this is just a strange coincidence. In no way did the service tech was in the location to damage the gaskets or manifold. When we looked under the trunk where he was topping off fluids etc was in the vicinity. I'm looking for guidance here because I haven't had any issues. Is this normal to replace at my mileage? and is there a potential that this could have been damaged during the service or maybe something else was repaired to cause this to show up earlier then it would have?

Thanks for any input!

The intake manifold doesn’t usually last 113k. Depending on what start/ or selling dealer your vehicle was sold in. You may have a PZEV warranty which would cover the intake manifold 15 year 150k.
Old 08-04-2018, 02:31 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by 5cylinderguy

The intake manifold doesn’t usually last 113k. Depending on what start/ or selling dealer your vehicle was sold in. You may have a PZEV warranty which would cover the intake manifold 15 year 150k.
depending on what state.