Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Audi manual shifting - hiccups

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi manual shifting - hiccups

I have a 2013 model A5 coupe. Prior to this I had Acura, Honda and Toyota manuals and when I shifted at high revs, the new gear locked in tightly and gave the acceleration a nice boost.

However, with the Audi, even with high revs, when I switch the gear, the higher shift does not "clasp" tightly into the next gear to give the expected acceleration boost. Instead, I sense a bit of a hiccup, pause or flutter sort of like a bit of a momentary recoil/kickback before the next gear is really engaged at which point one does feel the acceleration boost, albeit with a delay. This is even trying all sort of clutch release speeds so it is not my clutch technique. In other words, once in the new gear, it accelerates after a very slight pause rather than smoothly and immediately. I note this in particular between 1st and 2nd gears but also on the others. I was wondering if anybody experiences this and/or if it is also a consequence of quattro four wheel drive. Thanks much, John P.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:59 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I would be willing to bet what you are describing is the difference between a dual mass flywheel and a single mass flywheel. My subaru lgt had the same setup factory and it was a major change going to single mass but at the cost of a much harsher engagement. Just my thoughts on the subject.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Audi A5 manual shift hiccups

Originally Posted by syber_d
I would be willing to bet what you are describing is the difference between a dual mass flywheel and a single mass flywheel. My subaru lgt had the same setup factory and it was a major change going to single mass but at the cost of a much harsher engagement. Just my thoughts on the subject.
Thanks syber d. I also heard it might be a delay due to the turbo charge. This car is also an all-wheel drive so I also suspect getting immediate simultaneous traction power to all four wheels may involve an adjustment delay. In any case I'll look up the flywheel mass issue to study that more closely. Thanks for responding. J