Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Auto-Xers NOT on Coilovers...(A4 1.8TQ)

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 03:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto-Xers NOT on Coilovers...(A4 1.8TQ)

What pressures are you running in your tires? I've STFA many times and gotten very conflicting results. I've got quite a bit of autocrossing under my belt in the last year or so, and am to the stage of final tweaking to get the absolute most out of the setup that I've got. Currently running H&R springs, Bilstein Shocks, H-sport bars. On the road the H-sports are amazing, but even with the rear bar in the stiffest slot, it's still pretty easy to over drive the car to understeer (due to the HUGE front bar with the set). I've read a few guys running the stock "sport" front bar w/H-sport rear for any aggressive driving. I'm debating this...and also wondering if I've got the wrong idea for tire pressures. I've been running 40F/42Rear. I'm under the school of thought that more rear will help the car rotate.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:04 AM
LJH
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Auto-Xers NOT on Coilovers...(A4 1.8TQ)

Justin,
No expert here, especially when it comes to FWD/AWD cars but I use to do a lot of Auto-X in CS with a '85 MR-2 that I built to the rule (not that you can do all that much in CS but if you could do it I did it). I would alway take presure out of the tires I wanted to stick less to a point. For instance when I ran with the SCCA thay alway had slower tighter courses so, if I remember correctly I would run 38PSI in the front and 33 in the rear. This would help me rotate the car a bit better. When I ran with the Corvette Club on Long Island their courses were much more open, even with the MR-2 I would see 85+MPH after the longest straight so I would go to like 38 front and 36 rear to keep the back end a pit more planted. After 4 years of Auto-X'ing I got pretty good and ended up 3rd reginally with the SCCA. I always had a note book with me to take notes and know what presures I ran in what tempatures and at what track. For the fact that you only get a few "laps" each day having notes can really be a big help in getting you dialed quickly and then try to improve your time. I have just bought a B5 S4 that I am looking forward to doing some Auto-X with myself.

Cheers,
Jim