Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

AWE and Unorthodox Racing Clutch/Flywheel Question

Old 09-27-2004, 04:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AWE and Unorthodox Racing Clutch/Flywheel Question

Basically, my clutch is pretty shot, and I've decided on getting the AWE Stage 2 clutch kit. The AWE Stage 2 clutch kit with flywheel, which is 12lbs, is $1k. Clutch kit without flywheel is $500. I could also get the Unorthodox Racing lightweight flywheel, which is 9lbs, for $570, almost the same price as AWE's flywheel, but significantly lighter. My questions are, is it a good idea to get AWE's clutch kit and UR's flywheel, or should I keep it all AWE? How much of a difference would the 3lbs difference on the flywheel make? Will the lighter flywheel affect the feel of the clutch/driveability at all? Thanks for the info!

Also, how are UR's Underdrive Crank Pulleys? What do they effect/do exactly? Are there any negatives about em? Thanks.
Old 09-27-2004, 09:24 PM
JWG

Default Neither option appears optimal . . . you may feel disappointed . . .

"Fly-weight" flywheels should not find their way to street applications. Ideally, you should decrease the weight of the fly wheel by the same percentage as you decrease the weight of the crank pulley. However, removing the harmonic dampener and going with a pure aluminum crank pulley will decrease engine life. If Audi did not see the need for an expensive harmonic dampener, it would have thrown the same aluminum pulley that runs the power steering pump on the crank and be done with it--cheap solution with no R&D expense. Unfortunately, the physics of the crank requires a harmonic dampener to protect the bearings, crank, etc. Thus, underdrive crank pulleys come with a "caveat emptor."

Additionally, I have a Unorthodox Racing power steering pulley serving as a coffee cup coaster on my desk, because, due to its under-sizing, it over-drove the power steering pump creating more drag. Unorthodox should have slightly over-sized the P.S. pulley to slightly underdrive the pump (UUC did this for its BMW pulleys). I took an OEM aluminum pulley (revision K) and had it lightened. It weighs far less than Unorthodox pulley. You can see my pulleys at the link below.

Going back to flywheels, we recently discussed this on the 12v Development board. Audi used a single weight flywheel most recently on the 1989-91 20v QM transmissions, designated the CQ. One of most senior 12v Development members lightened a CQ to a more manageable 16 lbs to keep enough mass on the flywheel. When he puts together his car this winter, we will have more information about fitment and performance. So, we should look for lightened by not fly-weight flywheels.

As for clutches, I would go organic rather than kevlar. Kevlar works well in extreme conditions, but it gets extremely hot and can relatively easily overheat. Thus, expect severe scoring on your flywheels with a kevlar disk. Also, when kevlar overheats, do not expect it to return to normal operation like an organic clutch. So, expect strange problems with kevlar. My buddy is a mechanic and he has installed too many fly-weight flywheels with kevlar disks. All of his customers have disliked the combination as daily drivers. Now, he refuses to install them no matter what the customer wants.

Current wisdom: Stick with a dual mass flywheel to retain sufficient mass and go with a Sach's Sport Clutch or similar.<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/12v/msgs/29873.phtml">Pulley link</a></li></ul>
Old 09-28-2004, 04:19 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I had an AWE S2 package on my wagon, and have an AWE S3 on my current A4.....

Both are currently daily drivers, the wagon is now in Washington state with the new owner since January. Even the stage 3, although noticeably stiffer pedal, is fine for daily driving IMHO. And, my engine's built, putting out power above the S3 clutch's rated ability, and it's holding up fine for over 15,000 miles now.

Don't do a lightened flywheel/lightweight flywheel in combination with underdrive pulleys. If you lose too much weight off the rotating mass of the engine, you reduce it's inertia, causing stalling, running problems, and what JWG said about possibly damaging bottom end internals. Do one or the other, and in your case, I'd keep the OEM crank pulley and go with a lighter flywheel. Also IMO, get a clutch/flywheel combo together(if that's what you're gonna get), don't buy seperates. That way, if there is a problem, you won't hear excuses from each company blaming the other.
Old 09-29-2004, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Couldnt agree more coming from a person who has a Kevlar and 12lb LWFW...

I'm going to try a copper wound organic and 18lb LWFW next. cheers! Mike
Old 09-30-2004, 08:23 PM

Default stay away from the LWFW

I HATE mine, its from AWE too, it rattles like a beyotch, and my stage 2 clutch squeaks REALLY BAD, if I could do it over again Id get a euro spec flywheel and a spec clutch.
Old 10-03-2004, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I think that has a lot to do with install-- mine, also awe, is great -- very driveable and no nosie