Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Boost controllers on a DBW 2002 A4: what's the best? Waste of time? (more)

Old 01-17-2003, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boost controllers on a DBW 2002 A4: what's the best? Waste of time? (more)

What I'm wondering is if I can get more HP out of the car by installing a boost controller and thereby allowing me to increase the boost of the stock K03, in order to take advantage of my additional mods like exhaust, intake, upcoming second intercooler, etc. Right now I have a 1.2 bar chip designed to be used with all stock components. Neuspeed is coming out with a 1.5 bar chip shortly, but I'm wondering if I can't get more out of the motor with a boost contoller, allowing me to go beyond that, if the motor's performance parameters will allow it.

What is the best indicator of the state of motor tune? EGTs? I'm installing an EGT gauge and a boost gauge, and was thinking about adding a stoich gauge as well, and maybe a fuel pressure gauge. Anyway, I'm wondering what the best way is to tune the car, and bring it's maximum potential out, without blowing it up in the process. I'm also wondering how a boost controller will interact with an aftermarket chip, and if it makes it redundant or not. Additionally, I'm wondering how the boost controller can be adjusted so that it delivers the boost you want, but will it allow you to deliver boost like a chip does, and tailor it over the RPM range like a chip? I'm guessing no on that last part.

Finally, am I just on crack for even considering this? Is this just the totally wrong approach? All info is greatly appreciated.
Old 01-17-2003, 09:39 PM
Elder Member

Default A boost controller can only do so much. It cant make the turbo hold boost longer

You will notice that with a BC your boost will drop off even sooner then with a chip, which means a chip will make more mid range power with a small turbo like the K03/K04. Also the more boost you try to push out of the K03 the lower you need your adv timing, since the K03 will be making nothing but hot air at that point and a low boost chip is going to have too much timing.
Old 01-18-2003, 12:19 AM

Default Hmm. So basically, a boost controller in addition to or instead of a chip is the wrong thing to do?

Is there any upside to using a controller? Why would you ever want to choose one?
Old 01-18-2003, 07:54 AM
Elder Member

Default I would really only use a bc with a larger turbo that can hold a set boost level

to redline. That way you can run less boost on the street and more at the track. The smaller turbo like the K03/K04 just dont like the BC. Right now I use a BC with the K04 to hold the boost down, the chip runs up to 27psi and I am holding it down to 14.5-18 psi since I am running a 2 liter and get all the power out of the K04 with just that boost level.
Old 01-18-2003, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Can a EBC be made to hold multiple boost points?

say 16 psi till 5500, then 14psi afterward?

Cheers,
Sameer
Old 01-18-2003, 10:12 AM
Elder Member

Default Not that I have seen. It will just hold boost to redline unless the turbo cant hold that boost.

Why do you want less boost after 5500 rpms.
Old 01-18-2003, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Well, you said that one of the issues with a BC is that on n-dbw you can go lean at high rpm...

well, i suppose that means one could set up the BC to push more boost mid range and then taper off at high revs to avoid that lean condition.

For the stock KO3 guys, they wouldn't want a KO3 holding 16psi till redline regardless, so they would want taper off too, right?

Cheers,
Sameer
Old 01-18-2003, 06:47 PM
Elder Member

Default The K03 can only hold about 12psi to redline

and the K04 could hold 16psi to redline. When pushed with more boost both tapper off by them selfs since they just cant produce more air flow at that rate. When the air flow being sucked in levels off or just slows its rate the boost then drops off even though the turbo is still spinning at the same speed.
Old 01-19-2003, 01:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: The reason you would go lean up high is...

from cranking up the boost a little too much.

Go to a dyno get a a/f readout and if you are running a bit rich you can safely turn up the boost a couple pounds, assuming your car is not spiking or running over 25 psi( I hope not

If it runs like 20 psi and you are at 10.5-11:1 a/f turning up the boost a psi or 2 will gobble down some of the extra fuel making your engine breath better and making some more horsies.

If you get a boost controller and just turn up the boost and you are already running lean then you got problems. Not smart to mess with a boost controller blindly.
Old 01-20-2003, 08:50 AM

Default I just looked at a BC (new greddy profec) in a ricer mag that had boost per rpm settings.

It's infinitly variable over the entire RPM range, so you can 'map' the boost across the rpms, and make it basically anything you would like. The BC is also appearantly capable of managing AFRs to keep it from going lean etc.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Boost controllers on a DBW 2002 A4: what's the best? Waste of time? (more)