Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

!!?!?! - boost related issue. strange honking when boosting ~0bar. !!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2002, 12:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default !!?!?! - boost related issue. strange honking when boosting ~0bar. !!?!?!

dustin and i popped in a 225hp tt bpv in my car today and a 'honking', for lack of a better description, which occured with my stock bpv is now FAR more pronounced. the sound is not unlike the 'honk' sound indicating the car alarm arming.

i've finally been able to pin point an act which will consistently reproduce said 'honking'.

passing or cruising around the 0bar point will cause a "honking". to test this theory i throttled the car back and forth around 0bar in 5th gear. the sound was fairly continuous with only slight dips in volume and pitch while bouncing around 0bar.

at first with my stock bpv i thought it originated around the front of the car. after the increased volumn level of the 'honking' with tt bpv it now seems to originate somewhere from the back. dustin agrees. ?? the sounds are clearly audible in the car with the windows up or down.

there is of course no 'honking' when out of gear.

performance is the same if not more consistent than with the stock bpv. boost seems to hold longer and nothing seems out of the ordinary.

the wacky idea of exhuast resonance popped into my head briefly but i cant peice any reasons together to support said wacky idea. anyone? i'm at a *complete* loss and am a tad concerned here.

tia

oh. the bpv is installed correctly. engine performance mods i'm running are as follows ..

apr v3.0 chip.
apr cat back.
evo ms cone air
and 225hp tt bpv
Old 03-10-2002, 06:53 AM

usually a ruptured hose if not BPV. sometimes you can't see these unless you flex the hose.
Old 03-10-2002, 07:24 AM
CMH

Default Make sure you vac line to the bpv is not pinched anywhere. This will cause the bpv to

studder very quickly instead of just staying open and then closing one time for every time you press the throttle and let go.
Old 03-11-2002, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default LOL, the cure for the TT honk was to replace the stock BPV with a forged or Baileys one

it has something to do with the fluttering of the diaphram on closing. You can reverse it too to eliminate the honk, but you won't get the benefit of boost spike bypassing. The honking thing is a very well known issue on the TT's. Just ask the TT folks. Oh wait, that's me too
Old 03-11-2002, 05:22 PM

Default so .. this honking @ 0bar is NORMAL??? regardless of throttle?

this only happens @ 0bar .. regardless of gas or let off of gas. ??

i have no idea how the acoustics under the car are .. but it really sounds like it's coming from the rear.

sigh. i was hoping to get rid of the honk but now it's worse than with the stock bpv. =b

as long as there's nothing wrong. double =b
Old 03-11-2002, 05:25 PM

Default nothing pinched .. plenty of play on the vacuum hose. it was replaced about 1k miles ago as well.

well double check just to be sure tho.
Old 03-12-2002, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Don't know about 0bar, because majority of TT owners don't have a boost gauge,

but search honking in TT forum and you'll find several postings probably in early 2000, 2001. I won't say it's regardless of throttle because your DV only moves when you have some boost and create vacuum instantly - i.e. let foot off accelerator.

Now if it's coming from the rear, that doesn't make sense - but you can try an experiment to crimp the vacuum line going into your leak detection pump - that goes to the rear. And see if it dissappears. Should be the vacuum line going into the firewall.

Unless your honk is different from our honk
Old 03-12-2002, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

oops, this post should go under jasyn's below.