Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Braking for Dummies - Part II

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2001, 05:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Braking for Dummies - Part II

Hello all. Nice write up on the braking 101, Leszek. In your quest to fill in some of the holes, you might want to check out our attempt to spread the "braking news" here:

http://www.teamscR.com/grmbrakes.htm

This article, printed last year in Grassroots Motorsports, is basically a condensed version of a seminar I present both at work and at several universities here in the metro Detroit area. In summary, it walks through the entire brake system from the driver's right foot all the way to the road itself, throwing in enough math to "follow the forces" every step of the way. You might find it answers many of the nagging questions that never seem to get answered.

In addition, this article is only one of many tech articles we have posted on our site for public consumption. Articles on rotor modifications, anti-roll bars, tire selection, and bleeding ABS might just point out a thing or two you will find useful. Hit them all here: http://www.teamscR.com/tech.htm.

One word of caution: don't believe everything you read on the web. Anyone with a phone line and a PC can post with reckless abandon...and nobody can stop them. Case in point: the post linking to turnfast.com has identified an article which is, frankly, misleading and incorrect...right down to the math used to prove various theories. In fact, the author of that paper actually queried our site about 2 years ago for technical information on which to base that very same article, and when we pointed out (helpfully, we thought) the flaws in both the theory and the conclusions, the author decided to post anyway. So be it - long live freedom of speech.

Now, before you go off and believe a single thing on our site, it might help to know that I have been in the ABS industry for several years now, having worked at Kelsey-Hayes as an ABS calibrator (before they changed their name to TRW), Saturn Chassis Engineering (4 years, and hence the race team), and most recently at Bosch as a Senior ABS/TCS/ESP Applications Engineer. Does any of this mean that you should believe a single written word? No, but it might tease you into hitting the site, reading, and making your own decisions.

So, your last question probably is, "why is this guy posting to our forum?" Well, I also consult on braking systems and ABS, and one of my clients is a company called STOPTECH. I bet you have heard of them, right? They have been following your threads quite carefully and thought that you might find the information on our site helpful in making the best decisions for your own situations.

If anyone has questions, comments, or just wants to BS about brakes, the best way is to e-mail us through our website at http://www.teamscR.com (address is also below), as we do not regularly follow this forum.

While we may consult for a company or two, we do not have a vested interest in selling you a particular product...but hopefully once you educate yourselves (which you appear to be doing quite nicely through this forum) you will invariably come to better decisions on your own. Ask tough questions and expect good answers, regardless of whose products you choose.

See you at the track.

james walker, jr
http://www.teamscR.com
teamscR@flash.net
Old 05-21-2001, 07:32 PM

Did I see an article by you on this subject posted on the Stoptech site?
Old 05-22-2001, 07:53 AM

That would make sense. He says that he consults for STOPTECH in his post.
Old 05-22-2001, 03:10 PM

Default James! Wow I am still on the scR mailing list from the days I used to own a Saturn...

Surprised to see you show up here! But good to see you. Seems you're always full of good information.

Which reminds me. I need to change my mailing address on your list...

Paul
Old 05-23-2001, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks