AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Tuning (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/performance-tuning-10/)
-   -   Burger Motorsports JB1 Review (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/performance-tuning-10/burger-motorsports-jb1-review-2910322/)

Jjc23 11-29-2016 05:06 PM

Burger Motorsports JB1 Review

Hey All,
So I recently pulled the trigger after much debate about getting a flash or a piggyback but I bought the JB1 for MY16 A3 premium plus instead of the flash. Reasons due to the car is a lease which I will probably buy at the end but didn't want to deal with TD1 faults. Install was really easy, just 3 plugs. It takes a few miles on the car for the ECU to adapt to the piggyback. Raiting I give it an 8.5 out of 10. Up until 3rd gear you can't tell a difference but once you hit 3rd it's like a whole new car, pulls harder and faster. I haven't gotten it on a dyno yet and I have only a CTS turbo intake and GFB DV+ so I have the boost increased to +5.0 on 93 octaine. So for anyone on the fence about adding some more power without getting the fault codes this is the way to go. I personally love it and with the data cable the sky's the limit. I was about to beat a M3 off the line but it eventually past me but with lunch controll and the light body it gets off the line very quick.

DreamTFK 05-30-2017 09:22 AM

Thinking about getting the JB1 for my 17 A3 which is also a lease like yours so I need something discreet. Any updates to report? Any issues so far or are you still happy with it? The general consensus of reviews over at the VW/GTI forum is that it is an excellent product.

Jjc23 05-30-2017 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by DreamTFK (Post 24976571)
Thinking about getting the JB1 for my 17 A3 which is also a lease like yours so I need something discreet. Any updates to report? Any issues so far or are you still happy with it? The general consensus of reviews over at the VW/GTI forum is that it is an excellent product.

since then I have switched to the JB4. More power, much smooth. Also put some other add one. I'm hitting about 25 psi max on the JB4 and can do 0-60 in the low 4 seconds. Only worry is longevity of the turbo but I might go to the IS38

DreamTFK 05-30-2017 09:36 AM

Oh ok gotcha. Best I can get where I live is 91 octane so I don't know if the JB4 is worth it since I still won't be able to increase the boost no matter how much more intelligence it has. Low 4's for an A3 is amazing! I am not interested in pushing it that far for a lease though.

Jjc23 05-30-2017 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by DreamTFK (Post 24976577)
Oh ok gotcha. Best I can get where I live is 91 octane so I don't know if the JB4 is worth it since I still won't be able to increase the boost no matter how much more intelligence it has. Low 4's for an A3 is amazing! I am not interested in pushing it that far for a lease though.

I might buy it at the end of the lease. Depends on how the car is running at the time. I really want an RS3. So we shall see. I purchased a lot of add ons but I still have the pen parts and could sell them of I wanted to return it

jjcuff1 06-27-2017 01:40 PM

JJc23:
1: Have you taken it in for service yet? Any issues? On new cars they usually have recalls and flashes to ECU so wonder if they said anything. I have a leased A5 SB and looking at JB1/4

2: If you did do service did you remove the intake and DV?

3: Jb1 still has fuel tuning with fuel trim? Didi you ever log AFR? was it lean, or hot EGT temps?

4: Stock your A3 was a 220HP motor and you hang with a M3? I wonder what the 260 A5 will be maybe closer to the GTI/R numbers.

5: You said Jb4 was smoother. I am hesitant to cut the wire tap. Was JB4 much smoother or just since you had both? Was JB1 as fast?

Jjc23 06-27-2017 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by jjcuff1 (Post 24992424)
JJc23:
1: Have you taken it in for service yet? Any issues? On new cars they usually have recalls and flashes to ECU so wonder if they said anything. I have a leased A5 SB and looking at JB1/4

2: If you did do service did you remove the intake and DV?

3: Jb1 still has fuel tuning with fuel trim? Didi you ever log AFR? was it lean, or hot EGT temps?

4: Stock your A3 was a 220HP motor and you hang with a M3? I wonder what the 260 A5 will be maybe closer to the GTI/R numbers.

5: You said Jb4 was smoother. I am hesitant to cut the wire tap. Was JB4 much smoother or just since you had both? Was JB1 as fast?

I have taken it in for service but not to audi. I did not get the Audi care package so I didn't need to take anything off. I know my local repair guy. Only thing I've done as far as service was the first oil change and I changed the spark plugs to the RS7 ones. Yes I've logged and never was lean, fuel pressure was low once or twice due to the e85 mix but other then that no issues. Well I haven't installed a downpipe or catback but nothing else is stock. Changed hi Flo discharge pipe, inlet pipe, muffler delete, all silicone homes to the IC. Wider tubes gives more air gives more HP. You'd be quicker then the gti/r or the s3. They are like 292hp stock. You would be over 300hp with the JB4 out the box without any mods. It's kind of night and day. The jb1 is rougher seemed faster but it's not. The jb4 has more power with better logging adjustments and it smoother. For the difference in price is get the jb4. I am hitting like 25psi on my boost gauge which is a lot without a downpipe.

jjcuff1 06-27-2017 05:14 PM

Dam that is so impressive and sounds fun. I am coming from a stage 1 a6 3.0 and it was fast, torque felt faster but off the line the a5 stock would be pretty close both about 5sec 0-60

hiway speeds the extra engine breathes and pulls a lot harder but the a5 is more nimble and responsive and the transmission is no contest. The ZF was pretty sloppy especially in traffic or lurched and jerked a lot and rarely launched right it would short shift all the time.

the a5 dct is another story and I think why it feels faster all around

That is a lot of pipe work on the car. Was it easy to DIY? Is it JDM loud and drone all the time idle cruise in the cabin etc?

Jjc23 06-27-2017 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by jjcuff1 (Post 24992538)
Dam that is so impressive and sounds fun. I am coming from a stage 1 a6 3.0 and it was fast, torque felt faster but off the line the a5 stock would be pretty close both about 5sec 0-60

hiway speeds the extra engine breathes and pulls a lot harder but the a5 is more nimble and responsive and the transmission is no contest. The ZF was pretty sloppy especially in traffic or lurched and jerked a lot and rarely launched right it would short shift all the time.

the a5 dct is another story and I think why it feels faster all around

That is a lot of pipe work on the car. Was it easy to DIY? Is it JDM loud and drone all the time idle cruise in the cabin etc?

it wasn't the hardest install in the world. There are some tight spots. The hardest pipe to remove was the stock pancake discharge pipe from the muffler outlet to the intercooler. I went with the CTS turbo hi Flo discharge pipe which is considerably winder. It's actually pretty quiet in the cabin. No drone. Now if I change the downpipe then we would be talking about being loud. The most i hear is the swoosh of the turbo going through the inlet pipe. I can do 0-60 in 5 seconds with no problem. George at burger tuning is very helping finding the best settings for your jb1 or jb4

jjcuff1 06-27-2017 06:16 PM

I am leAsed and not wanting to break into exhaust unless huge gains and no impact to sound I had bad experience with the 3.0 and don't want to repeat

also I might keep but I have said that on all my cars and have new ones every 3-4 years so... not holding my breath lol.

the muffler delete and intake pupa I heard are simple and most bang short of DP