Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Can I use nitrous in my S4? Will 100shot be to much? wet or dry?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2000, 09:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can I use nitrous in my S4? Will 100shot be to much? wet or dry?
Old 11-28-2000, 10:34 AM

Default You can use nitrous in any internal combustion engine, but...

Why in an S4?

If you are asking this question, you are probably not an experienced tuner. Unless you really, really (and with an S4) really have to go that much faster it is more prudent to work with a tuner and upgrade the turbo system.

Adding nitrous to a turbocharged motor brings too many variables into play and can cause major damage to a motor if not done properly. The whole point of a turbo or nitrous is to bring more oxygen into the combustion process, why not just deal with one set of variables and upgrade the turbos?

If you must do this I recommend strongly using a wet system similar to what is used in Honda/Acura drag cars where the nitrous is mixed with fuel from its own pump. Dry systems can get touchy if you overtax the stock injectors during nitrous use (brief) or if you use too big of an injector for (brief) nitrous use it will not be matched for optimum fuel delivery the 99% of the time you are not on the bottle.

If this is your "play" automobile, I wish you luck with your system, however if it is your daily driver, I would seriously reconsider adding nitrous to this motor.

Just my opinion,

Michael
Old 11-28-2000, 10:38 AM

Default info.

I would do a wet system before a dry on these cars. I just dont think that there is that much reserve fuel there. At WOT the amount of fuel injected is dependant on the chip tuner. These cars will not compensate for a huge dry shot at WOT.

I would not feel safe about a 100 shot on an S4. I beleive you would be past the reliability point of the motor and fuel system.

On a turbo and intercooled engine a small shot if Nos goes a LONG way. Sometimes the effects are like double.. A 50 shot may make at least 100 real hp on a car like yours. The cooling effects of Nos go along way to make power as well as the oxygen effect of nitrous itself.

If it was a stock chipped car I would not have a problem putting a 50-75 shot on an S4. I would expect at least 350 hp at the crank.

Chipped I would not do much more than a 20 shot. I would expect even larger gains in hp on a chipped car running more boost.

I have installed Nos kits on diff types of engines. Here are a few examples. The "shot" # is what is stated with the kit with those jets. I have found that diff motors make diff power with Nos.. More effecient motors make more ect.. The point is to prove that a little Nos goes along way. All numbers where taken on a Dyno jet 248 with yours truly at the controls. The bike runs where taken on a Dynojet single roller bike dyno.

My GN. 698 hp to the wheels. 50 shot = 792 hp at the wheels.

Gsxr 1100 bike. 131hp at the wheel. 20 shot of Nos 169 hp at the wheels.

Lt1 comaro with vortech S trim blower, exhuast. 369hp at the wheels, 75 shot = 531 at the wheels.
(vortech had no IC. Cooling effects on the blowers 12 psi of boost made HUGE hp inprovements.

1.7 ltr water pumper Vw 8 valve. 92 hp at the wheels 40 shot = 128hp

Honda Spree Scooter (no joke I was bored one day and had an NOS kit in a parts bin) 4.5 hp stock at the wheels. Shot of Nos = 9.3hp.. I used the smallest jets I could find and filled them with solder and drilled them out even smaller.. What a fun pit bike.. mash the button and it would stand on end. Hold it down and it would flip over. 5 lbs bottle lasted for hours. Ran for Years like this.

I love Nos but I am not sure if I would put it on my $30,000 Audi. If my motor was built and my warranty was gone I would juice it.

Hope this helps..

Clark
Old 11-28-2000, 09:15 PM

You had an 800 horsepower Grand National?
Old 11-29-2000, 06:53 PM

Default Yeah.

To the wheels on a dynojet..

Ran 10.40 and then later 10.20 on Street tires with OUT the bottle. With slicks and the bottle it should have been a 9.50 car. I used the Bottle only on the street to spool up the "crank buster" T60 turbo. One blip and she wouls spool to 30 psi.

Realy to much power for the car. At 80 mph it would spin the tires in a scary and VIOLENT fashion. I do miss the sound of the Delta gate that was dumped to an open 4 inch length pipe and the Blitz Blow off valve.. pedestrians would run and hind when I lifted I dont miss the fact that it was a Regal with black paint. It did not stop or turn and it was a rattle trap from hell. And for some reason I simply could not keep a transmission in it for more that about a month. Even with a Full on Art carr tranny with 4000 rpm stall it I would kill them in short order.

Clark
Old 11-29-2000, 07:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

How about a lawn mower? Would help me cut the grass faster
Old 11-29-2000, 07:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Why aren't you draggin that and road racing the Audi?