Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Car idles rough after CAI install NEED HELP

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car idles rough after CAI install NEED HELP

Hi, i have a 1999 audi a6 avant 2.8 quattro and i recently installed a cold air intake (CAI) the car ran great before the install and the only light that was on was the engine light (which is always on) after I installed the CAI the car started up perfectly and then it started to idle rough like it had a huge cam in it and then after about a minute it would die. Im thinking that theres a vacuum leak somewhere or i have to reset the ecu? Please get back soon! Thanks.
Old 02-25-2017, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Generally you run in to these types of issues when you dont unhook the battery before unplugging sensors and such. I would start be reinstalling the factory air box, and see if it goes back to normal. Then take your time making sure everything goes together as it should, negative cable off the battery. If after you install it again it still runs rough, a vacuum leak could be possible. Grab a can of brake cleaner and spray any vacuum tube station you can find while it's idling. (You may need to reinstall factory airbox again). If the rpms drop or it stalls out when you spray a vacuum line, you found a leak. Replace that line.

this may or may not help. This is just the steps that I personally would take.