Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

CROSS post: Brake pads and rotor ???

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2001, 07:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CROSS post: Brake pads and rotor ???

Just found out today that I need new front rotors and pads. I dont want to pay the
dealership an arm and a leg for installation and for OEM parts so what are my options. I
know I want something that will create less brake dust, should I get slotted or drilled
rotors? Also is the life span on the aftermarket pads and rotors the same? And and
suggestions would help alot? By the way it is a 1998 A4 1.8tq with a stage 2 chip and
exhaust.

TIA
Aaron
Old 04-19-2001, 03:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock rotor, EBC Green pads

The dealer will charge a lot for this, and probably wont be willing to do aftermarket pads. Replacing these is not a hard DIY job, but any independent mechanic can do it. The rotors from Audi come painted and the paint on the rotor braking surface should be removed. The pads will burn it off but that makes a smelly mess.

Only one caution. EBC Green are nice pads but they dont come with any anti-squeal mechanism so you will need to dress the caliper-pad backing with something - like permatex disc brake anti squeal. If you go with Mintex Red, they have a rubber like backing already in place.

Also if you front are gone, your rear may need attention now or soon.

OEM otor and pad life seem to be in the 40-60k mile range. Aftermarket pads are often rated less, but that may be due to the "performance" assumption of the manufacturer more than any real shorter life.