Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Custom exhuast manifold? I know some of you on here were creating your own

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2004, 11:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom exhuast manifold? I know some of you on here were creating your own

exhuast manifolds, How did they turn out? Are they holding up well? How do they position the turbo vs. the oem location?

I am planning on big turbo in about a year, I know thats a long time from now but a lot of $$ is required to do it right. I am trying to look into my options of what I have vs. what I need to help me decide what to do and then I am going to start getting parts until I have the kit.

I am currently thinking about a T-28 turbo with custom chip through GIAC. I haven't contacted GIAC yet to see if they will do it or what they will charge but that is what I am thinking. I have a FMIC and 310cc injectors already(not installed), I have a feeling that I may need/want larger injectors though. I already have a hi-flow cat and 2.5" exhuast on the car.

Back to injectors and the MAF. I have been reading about 3" MAF housing and that they give an advantage with hi-flow turbo systems. At what size injectors would I be able to pump enough gas to use the 3" MAF and is it a big headache to do? I don't know that I want to try and upgrade to a 3" MAF unless I really have to.

From what I have been reading it doesnt look like I would need to replace the fuel rail, maybe just the FPR. Is this correct?

Any usefull input would be nice,
TIA
Old 08-31-2004, 01:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Here's a thread on vwvortex...

audi2pointzero-cmh put up pictures and comments on the tube style exhaust manifolds.

Most if not all of those style will cfrack sometime in their life, unless you are the lucky .0001%.

I'd stick with a cast style on the street for reliability issues.<ul><li><a href="http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1550716&amp;page=3">http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1550716&amp;page=3</a</li></ul>
Old 08-31-2004, 01:27 PM
Elder Member

Default A 8 gauge tube is not going to crack.

most thin wall tube crack and since they also expand so much that the welds dont expand at the same rate so they crank.

Full-race has been building these 8 gauge forged SS tube manifolds for some time without any cracking issues. Maybe that is why they are one of the only companies to give a life time warranty. :-)

Peolpe just have to understand that the runners on the manifold will see just below 1600 degs during part throttle driving which the car will run 14:1 AFR.
Old 08-31-2004, 01:44 PM

Default did you have problems connecting your cat with that setup?

I am not sure that I want to spend that much since I am not building a full on race car but I do like it. It even has a spot for the exhuast temp probe.

What kind of difference would I see using that over something like ATP's manifold that is not equal length?
Old 08-31-2004, 02:06 PM

Default Re: did you have problems connecting your cat with that setup?

Well he says he has a 400whp dyno also so if he posts that we can compare initial spoolup and maybe top end power with the dyno of the gt35r on ATP's website. Although I believe Mike runs more boost. Are you gonna post the dyno Mike?you said you would after the 1.8t challenge you won. The initial spoolup may show something but there of course are still differences betweent the two setups(like I believe Mike has cams?)
Old 08-31-2004, 03:34 PM
Elder Member

Default I ran 20psi on the dyno for the 1.8t challenge

to make 378 whp on a hot run. We did not get any dyno plots since they are owned by EC for that event. I will be running on a dyno jet very soon which is what you guys run on and we all know it reads higher then a Mustang. Lets also remember the yellow car was fwd on a dyno while I am AWD.
Old 08-31-2004, 03:57 PM

I am not looking to go as wild as you, do you have any recommendations?
Old 08-31-2004, 03:57 PM

Default Re: I ran 20psi on the dyno for the 1.8t challenge

oh you told me you had a 400whp dyno but didnt want to release it till after the ec 1.8t challenge. Just post up that dyno no? or are you not allowed to either. The 400whp dyno on ATP's site is actually of my car,also a 2.0 and quattro like yours. The yellow car makes well over 400whp and runs 120+mph traps.

I'm just curious and always like to compare dyno's of cars that are similar to ours since there just isn't many around or that talk about theirs publically.
Old 08-31-2004, 04:30 PM

What size IC piping would you recommend for a t28? 2.25?
Old 08-31-2004, 11:01 PM
Elder Member

Default I was never given the 385 whp pull from when they first tuned the car

and EC was not allowing anyone to take dyno plots of the pulls for the 1.8t challenge.

Only way your going to be able to compare my car to any of the atp cars is to put them on the dyno or track at the same time.

Quick Reply: Custom exhuast manifold? I know some of you on here were creating your own