Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Dahlback Tuning. Is it more "risky" of a investment then the more popular GIAC and APR that is more

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2005, 10:33 PM
Audiworld Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "or releasing software before doing high altitude"... MTM did this with their B5 S4 code.

They had to revise it after the high altitude issues were discovered. Sorta counteracts your statment :P

-Dave Pramanik
Old 01-30-2005, 06:41 PM

Default Re: My experience... long

I had a KO4 setup with a GIAC chip on my 2000 A4 1.8T (w/ Millteck exhaust). After ~3 laps around a track (only about 1.5 laps around long tracks like Watkins Glen), I would lose all my power. The car had less power than stock. The place I got the KO4 setup upgraded my software using the N75 "J" valve. It felt slightly better (instead of losing what felt like 100 hp, now it felt like only 80hp loss) but it was still WAY slower than stock after just a few laps around a track. Instructors in my car couldn't believe how slow the car was. I posted my problem on this board in the Spring of last year, and just about everyone suggested that I needed a bigger intercooler (I'm crazy for thinking that my intercooler wouldn't get heat soaked on a track w/ a KO4 even if the ambient temp is near-freezing). Well, I bought an FMIC and it didn't do anything. At this point, I brought my car to TJM Motorsport and they replaced the GIAC chip with Dahlback software. All problems solved. The car ran great at Mt. Tremblant. TJM said that my car was predetonating like crazy and is surprised that I didn't even notice it. I think it's too risky to invest in other company's product than Dahlback. Having said that, I think it's only fare to metion that I know of another 2000 A4 1.8 that seems to run pretty well with a GIAC setup. For a few extra $, I would insure myself with Dahlback over other products.
Old 01-31-2005, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

They do certify power outputs.
Old 01-31-2005, 10:17 AM

Default On each and every chip, component or kit ... or on the representative example submitted?

I am not suggesting any manufacturer, any TUV agent or agency are deceiving folks .
I just think taht one ought not extend 'papal infallibility' to any certification nor should one extend a TUV certified component superiority over another component merely by virtue of the certifying body being TUV.
Old 02-02-2005, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It's not always the certification. It's also the fact that the penalties involved...

in Europe for underrating products is something you just don't want to do. Even if TüV doesn't go over every kit with a fine tooth comb, European tuners cannot afford to be caught with their pants down to say.

Think about how many US/Japanese cars have been found to be underrated in the past 10 years. I can think of a whole handful.

I can't think of a SINGLE German car.
Old 02-02-2005, 03:31 PM

Default True.

I think a large benefit with TUV certification is safety. Just as with the UL, one stands a much better chance of not having some part frag you if it's design has undergone some outside scrutiny.

There are mechanisms in the US for penalizing companies that make false claims. It is probably more cumbersome and often entails the courts. I am enjoying a free 3/8th inch air ratchet courtesy of Campbell Hausfield's over stating the HP rating on some of their compressors

IIRC the Mazda RX HP issue was 'resolved' by Mazda offering a buy back on any cars sold during their overstated HP claims.

The 5th estate also can be effective at forcing companies to rectify situations where they've not done right by consumers. Of course, that can be a double edged sword .. Like VoA/AoA's 01-02 coil pack fiasco coming to a head only due to the bad press vs the Audi 'unintended acceleration' fiasco nearly driving Audi from the NA market place.

Competition also has some affect on assessing penalties to those companies that are less than truthful. Of course this also takes time and the less informed may continue to be bilked.

We might not see much in the way of German makes having under delivered on stated power claims but then again we don't see them nearly as inclined as the Japanese makes to rectify design shortcomings or failures.