Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Euroclass KO4 Beserk Upgrade Update - Including PWR Oil cooler and ECS UDP - LONG POST

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2004, 05:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Euroclass KO4 Beserk Upgrade Update - Including PWR Oil cooler and ECS UDP - LONG POST

Just an update on how this is all going:

The KO4 is now installed in the car along with the PWR oil cooler (in the stock intercooler position) and the DEFI Oil pressure sender is now wired in as well. The ECS under drive pulley has also been installed. The 330cc injectors are not yet installed - pending the arrival of the new software.

Also took the opportunity to change all the belts including the timing belt while the car was apart.

I should emphasise The KO4 kit is not finished yet. Currently its running with the KO3 Beserk Software and a 5bar FPR (waiting on the new software atm - should be hear next week). Once the new software is here the bigger 330cc injectors will be installed and the 5 bar FPR removed and replaced with the stock 4bar.

There is already a BIG improvement over the KO3 running the KO3 beserk software with the KO4 and 5 bar FPR. Peak boost is 1.5 bar and fuelling is good from the VAG logs up to 5500rpm (I havent pushed it any further yet).When the new software arrives and is installed with the new injectors i will push it into the red. So far tho, torque is up right across the range and as everyone knows - the KO4 just keeps pulling when the KO3 runs out of huff. I am surprised at how big the torque increase is - its AWESOME. As soon as the new KO4 beserk software arrives and is installed with the injectors I will dyno the car and post the results. we should see even more power.:-)

The PWR Oil cooler is right up there with the best mods I have done based on my initial impressions. Oil temps used to be around 90 degrees C. daily St. driving and up to 120 degress C at the track when going 'hard'. Now its a constant 75 C. The PWR oil cooler includes the PWR core, mounting brackets for the stock intercooler location, plumbing and adapter with integrated thermostat. Only the best and highest quality aluminium aero fittings are used along with the best teflon oil lines. The Adapter allows the oil to circulate through the system until it reaches 76 degrees C - it then opens a valve controlled by the thermostat to allow the oil to flow through the cooler to prevent it getting to hot. This is a great system as the oil reaches its optimum working temp. and then stays there. Oil pressure is pretty steady around 5.0 standrd driving. It sits around 2.0 at idle and up to around 6.0 at WOT. The Defi gauges have a electronic sound and visual warning should pressure drop below the user set figure (I set it at 1.85). It should be noted that this setup replaces the stock heat exchanger - which is a bloody good thing as they have a habit of going south and mixing the oil and coolant. This kit is now available from Euroclass Automotive. I will post some pics of it as soon as I get time.

The ECS underdrive pulley - well after a lot of research I could find NO evidence of problems related to this mod in conjunction with a LWFW - only lots of hearsay and half truths. So I had it installed and I am VERY glad I did. The car revs noticeably smoother, picks up more quickly off the line and is a lot of fun to drive. It has had no effect on the idle whatsoever (and I really dont see how it possibly could). Hard to gauge the HP gain as I installed it at the same time as the KO4 - but from the way the car behaves I would say it has helped. I would strongly reccomend this mod. to anyone with a LWFW. In fact, I'd go so far to say as the car seems to behave better with the LWFW and the UDP than the stock pulley - its more balanced.

Snags: Only one. The N80 Valve/solenoid that resides on top of the air box shat itself and had to be replaced as it was malfunctioning and causing very surgy boost. Replaced it with a new one and its perfect. (I suspect it may have not been sealing correctly - or may have had vaccume causing the fuel tank to be 'sucked-up'.)

More to come when the KO4 beserk software arrives. :-)
Old 11-10-2004, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default By any chance were you are Putnam Park this summer?

(slightly off topic)

I was there too!
Old 11-10-2004, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Nup - I live in Australia - Where we ride Kangaroos to work :-)