Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Exhaust survery

Old 01-24-2001, 04:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust survery

Sorry if this has been done, but I cant find adequate info with the search engine down.
I am looking at cat-back exhausts for a 1.8TQ. APR's seems overly priced, Borla has fitment problems and there is not too much info on the rest of the brands.
I remember some posts about Supersprint a while back but no final answers. I know they are of high quality but I beleive some were complaining of its diameter at only 2.25", is this true?
What would be the best all around "cheaper than APR" exhaust to look at?
I have also looked at the Stebro as I once had it on my 2.8 and loved it.
TIA,
Chris
Old 01-24-2001, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default What fitment problems are you referring to?

I have the borla 2.25"

No matter what exaust you go with, if it's aftermarket, it's not going to line up as perfectly as stock.
Old 01-24-2001, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Borla rattling??

I have heard that Neuspeeds Borla dn AWE's had a few fitment problems in the beginning with tubes not lining up anywhere close. Is this true? Is the borla only available in 2.25"?
Old 01-24-2001, 10:25 AM

Default My experience (with our MTM pipes)

Our MTM (probably more expensive than APR) rattled a bit at first (installed last Jan) then didn't so much as the weather warmed up.

Now, about a year later, it doesn't rattle at all. I guess everything has "broken in" and any tight spots have since worn down enough so they don't rattle. Or something.

I also think a lot has to do with the installer. R+A (who did our install) said they welded some of the slip-on fitments just to make sure they stayed together. Work with a shop that does alot of that kind of install -- or one that has a good relationship with an exhaust company.
Old 01-24-2001, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default beginning tubes..

The tubing after the downpipe where the spring 'involvment' is is not matched perfectly with the stock hanger on mine. I had to bolt it on a little differently and loose the spring. In other words there is no flex in that area. That was my only dilmema (minor). I diddn't just want to let it sit the're loosly b/c it would probably bang against something. So far as a whole I have no abnormal noises. My borla is 2.25 and the revised version. Performance is definatly there (k-03).
Old 01-24-2001, 12:13 PM
DK

Default Re: My experience (with our MTM pipes)

I also got my MTM exhaust installed by R+A.
The spot welding and zipties on the rubber exhaust hangers made for a tight install.

I never had any rattling or fitment issues.

DK
Old 01-24-2001, 01:07 PM

Default Yep, the days of Borla fitment issues are over...

The first version of the system (about 1 1/2 years ago) had a few areas of fitment that needed to be finessed. The current system is completely installer friendly.

All tubing is 2.25" diameter from the cat back, as opposed to stock which ranges from 1 7/8" to 2.25" at various areas.

The Supersprint is 2 1/8" and is a midpipe back system. Great looking tips, too.

We have a new price of $459.95 including UPS ground shipping for the Borla.
Old 01-24-2001, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

my Borla (from Borla) 2.25" bolted straight on!? (chlubb, Go Borla, best bang for the Buck!!)
Old 01-25-2001, 05:21 AM
TM

Default Borla Issues?!? (more)

I know that some people have had issues with the Borla, but IMHO, it is primarily an install problem rather than a problem with the product.
This is _only_ with regard to the 1.8T manual, I don't know about the automatic.

All I know is that Todd did a good job of installing the Borla on our A4tqw and it has no problems. The two very minor nitpicking points that I've noticed:
1. The tips are slightly discolored from heat
2. The exhaust vibrates against something when you drive through heavy snow or rain, a little disconcerting the first few times, but not a big deal.

TM
Old 01-25-2001, 07:57 AM
e

Default My advice....

I have the APR. And while, yes, it is more expensive, I wanted something that was designed by Audi tuners for an Audi. Also, it is 2.5" ALL the way from the catback, as opposed to the Borla, which is 2.25" from what I recall.

If you're looking for the same type of performance, go for the Borla. But the Borla is a bit louder than the APR. The Supersprint is probably the most quiet, but it doesn't come with a downpipe.

If this is your only upgrade, assuming you have a chip, the Supersprint is a good choice. But if you're looking at a bigger turbo, a bigger downpipe should definitely be a consideration.

I say if you're looking to get the best bang for the buck, as Rey Hey said, go with the Borla. But get it from AWE and have the inner tips cut, please!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Exhaust survery