Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

faulty tie rod symptoms?? help me diagnose my problem!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2001, 01:27 PM
bkw
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default faulty tie rod symptoms?? help me diagnose my problem!

here's the problem that just started recently.
at speeds of 70+ when i let go of the gas, she shakes badly. the shakes are on the right front wheel. during regular acceleration, even barely any acceleration (like a 1/4" throttle in) the shakes would go away! let go of the gas, and theres the shakes again. its even worse when im forced to make long gradual rights on the highways.

i know its not the wheel thats bent, theyre brand new, the weights that were used to balance the wheels are still there, the lugnuts are on tight.. when i push the wheel with my foot, it kinda moves a little more than the drivers side one.

on the way back up from AC, i asked donny to see if my wheel was shaking (from inside his car).. the steering wheel was going nuts, but he said that the wheel looked fine.

ive narrowed it down to 2 possibilities.
1. tie rod. my a4 is a 99, but i dont think my vin is in the range of the recalls.. i didnt receive any notification about the recall in the mail.

2. front alignment. when the valet dickweed dented my right front fender last week, perhaps he hit the wheel as well? perhaps theres something bent? perhaps he knocked the wheel out of alignment? maybe??? BUT!! why do the shakes go away under acceleration? if it was the alignment, wouldnt it shake during acceleration as well??

on the way back up it got worse. now it shakes at deceleration at anything over 30mph. i had to pull over once because my hands were going numb because of the shakes..

if it is the tierod, and my car's vin isnt in the range of recalled vin's, would i have to pay for this? i still have 8k left on my warrantee.. would audi go tell me to screw myself cuz ive done suspension mods?

someone please help,
TIA,
brian
Old 04-08-2001, 02:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Jack the car up and...

...see if you can move the wheel left and right. If you can move it then your tie rod is shot.

Mike O.
Old 04-10-2001, 07:58 AM
Elder Member

Default broken CV joint

It could possibly be a tie rod though. Do Mike O's check I guess. But vibrations when going from forward to reverse or when removing power are usually due to a broken CV joint. Under power it acts like it is fine as the torque keeps it wedged one way. Once you take the power off the slack in the broken joint shows up as a vibration.