Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

FOGS come on w/ Headlights automatically??

Old 03-21-2001, 02:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FOGS come on w/ Headlights automatically??

Anyone know how to do this mod on a 99.5+ 1.8TQ? So close yet i don't want to blow anything...
Old 03-21-2001, 02:39 PM

The anti-performance forum?
Old 03-21-2001, 02:44 PM

Default Re: The anti-performance forum?

Just a question... Enhanced vision = better performane
Old 03-21-2001, 03:16 PM

Default Once, a long time ago, I wrote a dozen comments on this very subject...

The fogs are virtually worthless. They have the worst beam pattern I have seen in a long time (since the 4000/80 headlight). The provide no *real* illumination. At virtually any speed, any object that you detect with them will hit your car before you can physically react. AND, you should be looking a lot further ahead regardless.

I posted a long description on how to turn the early model into cornering lights.

By running them all the time you join the Jag and Bimmer folks who don't have a clue what the switch is for.
Old 03-21-2001, 04:20 PM
Rest In Peace

Default Totally true. The fogs are useless on the A4. I get about twenty feet MAX coverage.

So I guess if I drive around at 5mph they're useful.

But I don't.

Sometimes I use 'em anyway - they kinda look cool.
Old 03-21-2001, 07:07 PM

Default guys, so you know, fogs arent meant to operate like headlights...more

foglights are exactly that, for FOG. the reason they throw off such a "bad" pattern is cause they are only illuminating what is directly in front of the car. in dense fog situations, you are supposed to turn off headlights and drive at a MUCH reduced speed with foglights only (i know you cant do it on the a4 cause of legal issues). the foglights cut under all that fog and give you an idea of whats going on ahead during DENSE fog. THEY ARENT MEANT TO ACT AS SUPPLEMENTAL HEADLIGHTS.
Old 03-21-2001, 07:37 PM

Default Re: Once, a long time ago, I wrote a dozen comments on this very subject...

Well then does anyone know how to splice into the wiring to automatically turn them on w/ the headlights? Just for looks now, functionality aside... There are FAQ's various FOG remidies, but not this.

Thx
Old 03-22-2001, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default fog->driving light conv?

I'd like to convert the fogs to pencil beam driving lights. Has this been done? My concern is that the mounting position is too low to be effective.
Old 03-22-2001, 07:41 AM

Default Sure...

You could simply pull the switch out and solder/butt the two wires together. Or T off a wire from the lows to the fogs at the back of the light housing.
Old 03-22-2001, 07:50 AM

Default Yup. Details...

The beam is too diffuse and too low of an angle to work effectively as a fog/snow light. My lows with phillips a/w bulbs work vastly better by themselves.

You could use the factory fogs for driving no faster than 30 mph (44 feet per second), 1 second reaction time and great brakes any object further than 88 feet ahead of you will be hit.

The best fogs I have found are the Hella FF550 for cheap, the DE's for more. The light projects much further and with a much sharper cutoff.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: FOGS come on w/ Headlights automatically??