Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Folks, I really need some on a vibration I've got.

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2001, 07:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Folks, I really need some on a vibration I've got.

Over the past year, I've been feeling some vibration in my car. After seeing the wheels on the balancer at Discount Tire, I noticed several of them looked bent. So, I got all four wheels turned true. Today, I got new Kuhmos. The vibration has improved with all these fixes, but I still feel it, and I personally think new tires hide the problem.

Also, when the temp got high, here in Dallas, there was a very loud squeak/groan when I turned the wheel to the left. This happened while car was either standing still or rolling. But, the noise went away after two days. By then, the weather had cooled off a bit.

I have a 98.5 2.8qMS. I've been reading about a tie rod issue, and I wonder if this has anything to do with it.

I don't really know what the function of a tie rod is, and I'd like some education as well as telling me what to look for. Also, if the tie rod is not the factor in the vibration or the squeak, does anyone have any ideas?

Your help would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Amro
Old 06-11-2001, 01:44 PM
ARK
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The tie rod connects the ends of the steering rack to the wheel bearing housing. If bad, you will...

get some "play" (loosness, impreciseness) in your steering, and some rattling sounds when going over bumps. To check you tie-rod ends, jack up each front tire (one at a time, so the tire just lifts off the ground. Grab the tire at 9 and 3 O'clock, and try to move the tire/wheel assembly in a back and forth direction (like the wheels turn when you steer the car) If you feel / hear any play, your inner or outer tie-rod ends are loose (worn) and need to be replaced.