Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Gains with Neuspeed 19mm Rear Sway Bar with aftermarket suspension (more)...

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2001, 11:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gains with Neuspeed 19mm Rear Sway Bar with aftermarket suspension (more)...

I have the H&R Coilovers on my 2000 A4. Interested in 19mm rear sway bar.

I was told when I bought the coilover from PG Performance that a rear sway bar was
not necessary since the suspension was stiff enough to prevent excess body roll.
I do find that it has slight understeer but I am 'quite' happy with the setup, on track it could use a tad more oversteer.

Any comments and experience with a aftermarket sport/race suspension with and without a 19mm rear sway bar? TIA
Old 07-09-2001, 01:17 PM

Default Stock mounts?

I prefer a touch of understeer myself. Metal endlinks and aftermarket reinforced brackets will give you a bit more oversteer.

I find that with an abrupt lift and correct tire pressures and can get the rear around pretty fast.
Old 07-09-2001, 01:23 PM
Rest In Peace

What are the spring rates on the H&Rs?
Old 07-09-2001, 04:47 PM

Default What do you want out of that suspension?

My general advice when your considering suspension upgrades is to think about the sway bar last. And get some seat time with the car so you can decide what aspects you want to improve. While these cars do like to understeer, lots of understeer is driver induced.

A sway bar is going to definitely give you more oversteer (fun), but it'll also cause your inside rear wheel to lift in a lot of circumstances...and your drivetrain is going to send your power to the wheel that's in the air (good for pics, but power w/o traction is not so good).

I probably have one of the more aggressive suspension setups and it is in a constant state of a adjustment (adjustable suspensions are handy, but boy you want to adjust them all the time too!). I have the 19mm bar...it spends more time off the car than on right now, as I want the right balance while keeping all 4 wheels on the ground.

In the end: fiddle with the rest of the car, then if it's still not at the right balance of over- vs. understeer FOR YOU, by all means add the bar but be aware of what changes (positive and negative) you should expect.
Old 07-09-2001, 05:43 PM

Default Thanks for the post, exactly what I was looking for (more)

I have only lapped it once at Shannonville with my SO2s and H&Rs. Handling was very predictable. Inside wheels did not lift as I might of expected w/ stock anti-roll bar
(i let my friend drive while I watched track side)...so it got me thinking about the roll bar.

I did some design on Formula 600 (600cc engine) open wheeled, RWD race cars. Geometry was much different due to weight balance, RWD and CG.
I dont have data for this car like I did before...hell I havent even examined the suspension geometry.

I dont have the time to play with the suspension like you do. For the price (around 150USD), i thought it might be an interesting experiment before I take to the track again.

But I must be honest that the brakes are my main concern, stock brakes. Cooling is poor and they fade quickly.
Old 07-09-2001, 05:55 PM

if I remember correctly....high 400s/low 500s...Ultra was low 600s/mid 600s
Old 07-09-2001, 06:00 PM
Rest In Peace

Do you mean high 400s front and low 500s rear? You might not need the bar then.
Old 07-09-2001, 06:03 PM
Rest In Peace

Default Agreed on the brakes - they're garbage for the track. My next big upgrade, along with an FMIC.....

is probably going to be either the StopTech kit or the APR variant of that kit.
Old 07-09-2001, 06:20 PM

Default No higher spring rates in front...trust the front springs are progressive and much stiffer than rear

I played with them before they got put on.
Old 07-09-2001, 06:22 PM

Default The problem is that the car weighs 3200lbs! That requires stopping power for the track.(more)

speaking of tracks, you ever do lapping sessions with Image Racing (out of TO). They are laid back and the lapping events are actually fun.
They rent out Shannonville once a month.

Quick Reply: Gains with Neuspeed 19mm Rear Sway Bar with aftermarket suspension (more)...