Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Garrett T3....everyone READ THIS

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2001, 01:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Garrett T3....everyone READ THIS

OK I have been wanting to ask this question for a while. I know that many companies have there Turbo kits out, and this and that. But haven't you guys noticed that we are getting squat for power after changing out our turbos compared to other imports..say Mitsubishi Eclipses..or any other stock Turbo'd cars.

I mean...we are changing out our turbos and gettin like maybe 280hp? That's a joke..other turbos imports are runnin 300hp EASY...not to mention..hmm...some 11 Second WRX's...I mean...for the money we are spending on our Audi's we really aren't getting that much. OK ok..then you say it's an Audi and everything is expensive..whatever..I just think its about time that someone comes out with a BIG turbo kit..you say GT25? That is a small turbo in comparison to what most imports are running. I am not here to diss anyone....but honestly it's about time we get some more performance. Take a look around..be open minded. We Audi's arent the only ones with turbos.

Anyone ever think about dropping in a T3 or something of that nature? IF you read this...please post some thoughts. 5 grand for 280hp? I'd rather not.

Again I am not here to create enemies..just wanted to offer another perspective.

-Eric
Old 01-11-2001, 01:33 AM
AudiWorld Expert

i asked something sort of similar recently with no response. an 8 sec. honda?? how???
Old 01-11-2001, 02:36 AM

Default Re: Garrett T3....everyone READ THIS

You are correct about other cars having more power. But what you are describing, in my opinion, is a small displacement engine with a huge turbo bolted up to it that will not do a thing about making power until later in the rev band than say the APR stage III. Look at dyno's for some of those other turbo kits and they are behind in torque quite a bit. Not all of them but quite a few. Undersquare engines make torque better than all out hp numbers. Besides, I am pretty close to 320hp out of just a plain stage III. I can't wait until APR comes out with a race chip for this thing. Hello another instant 20-25hp! Good thing this is a free society, you won't have to purchase one of the crappy, low hp kits.
Old 01-11-2001, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default There are a lot of issues involved

Not least of which is turbo lag. The GT25 has more lag than stock, but that's nothing compared to how much lag a big turbo would have. The 1.8 is gutless without boost and most big turbos wouldn't even start coming on boost till a ways up the rev range. Another major issue is size, there isn't room for a large turbo housing in the engine bay without moving some things around. Right now, the stage 3 kits are pretty much bolt on kits, this would not be the case with big turbo. A big turbo kit turning out high horsepower (over 350 hp) would warrant a lot of upgrades to associated components, engine internals, and seals for somewhat acceptable reliability levels. Remember, the engine was designed as a LOW boost turbo engine and that would mean that pretty much all seals and plumbing would need to be upgraded, to say nothing of the oil cooler and other bits. Finally, you can only ask so much of the engine. How big are the engines in the DSM's and Subarus? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that both are at least 2.0L. More displacement means more power. My point here is that it will cost a lot of money to put together a kit to get the 1.8T up in the 350-450hp range. If you want that kind of power, buy an S4, and put a stage 3 kit on it (when they come out), total cost will probably be pretty simmilar, but you'll have a lot higher reliability.

Where's Lucas? I know his hp is pretty high, and his car is seriously fast. He did a lot of his own development and can do a better job explaining the issues involved. I'm not saying it's not possible...just not practical when compared with other options.
Old 01-11-2001, 05:24 AM

Default I'm working on one right now...

FYI a GT-25 is really a Garrett T3/T4 hybrid, so it is not really a "small" turbo. However, I agree 100% with the complaint that there are not enough BIG turbo kits out. Also the prices we are asked to pay are insane. Consider that many import turbo kits for factory NA cars are in the 3k-4k range.

I am going to be working with a tuner to develop at least two kits. The first kit will consist of a properly matched Garrett T3; a custom tubular manifold; turbo support bracket; all necessary hoses, gaskets, and fittings; a highflow cat; and injectors and software. This should yield about 250hp. The second kit will be a big power kit 300+hp kit and will consist of a Garrett T3/T4 hybrid a front mount intercooler and all of the above mentioned items. These kits will be modular, so when you want to upgrade it is just a matter of a bigger turbo and updated software etc. They will also be considerably less than what others are charging

I should have some turbos within a few weeks and I am using my personal vehicle for all fitment and durability tests. I will be installing the bigger turbo first and then my associate will be installing the T3 kit in his vehicle.

Boober
Old 01-11-2001, 07:37 AM
SKS

Default You have to break the engine parts first...

it's part of the developement process. Modify it, put it on a dyno, run it till something breaks, then redesign the part that broke. Put it back together and start over again by break something else. I would look for the rods to go first, the crank if it isn't the forged one, and the valves next. Guides are almost impossible to find at the moment. After you get the engine pumped up reliably (well maybe) there is the tranny, rearend, and all the rest of the quattro drive train. All this sounds a bit gloomy I know, but that's how it's done.
Old 01-11-2001, 08:57 AM
e

Then go buy a WRX (don't worry, not an "enemish" statement)
Old 01-11-2001, 10:23 AM

Sorry, I miss-stated that the GT-25 was t3/t4 based, it is actually T-25 based.
Old 01-11-2001, 10:31 AM

Lol, posters right. High pressure T vs. LOW pressure T. Apple/Orange argument.
Old 01-11-2001, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I had thought about this...

especially since I have a spare T3 laying around from one of my XRs.
I thought $5000 for a Stage III was excessive, but if you look at the costs involved, its not that bad:

This is what I guess costwise:
$1000 - custom header
$400 - 3" downpipe/high flow cat.
$300 - higher flow injectors
$1000 - GOOD intercooler
$200 - plumbing water lines
$300 - intake and intercooler plumbing

plus whatever the turbo costs, and probably custom software for the ECU.

To reduce lag, a ceramic ball-bearing T3 would be nice.

I may be off on some of the prices, please feel free to scream at me if I am.

Quick Reply: Garrett T3....everyone READ THIS