Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Got the new Software from PES.............Woo-Hoo!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2002, 04:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got the new Software from PES.............Woo-Hoo!

overall its like having a diffrent car

no more audible detonation (need to VAG the car to be certian though)

MUCH faster, esp @ part throttle...only complaint is that it feels as though the power plateau's around 5000 rpm in the higher gears...

hot & cold starts are no longer a problem, it now turns over after 2-3 cranks instead of 4-5 of before

boost is MUCH more stable. before i was getting anywhere from 1 to 1.8 bar @ WOT, now it's holding 1.4 Bar @ WOT with a slight spike to 1.6 on hard shifts

unfortunatly i still have the high speed idle issue, though it only happens when im moving over about 60 mph & i put the car into neutral..... my idle drops to around 400, catches itself & bounces up to 1200 & repeats, sometimes stalling if i am coming off WOT

best of all, i got a call from Ron@PES today, he wanted to check up & see how the car was & if the software helped.... unfortunatly i was @ work & had three other people trying to talk to me so i didnt really get a chance to have a conversation with him, but just getting the call & knowing they care makes all the diffrence
Old 08-27-2002, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default AWESOME!

As a fellow DBW and the dreaded MY 2000 at that, I'm glad you're making progress. Hang in there, I think everything will work out.

Take care,

FB
Old 08-28-2002, 05:36 AM
Rest In Peace

Default You mean to tell me that ALL THIS TIME all you needed was a software update?!?!?!

WTF is wrong with the guys at PES???
Old 08-28-2002, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"No more audible detonation" - holy cow! no offense but how many engines blew up before this fix?
Old 08-28-2002, 08:43 AM

Default luckily, its still in one peice........

but i need to do a leakdown test as it has started to drink oil, nothing too unusual, only about 3/4 quart per 1000mi..it just never used a drop before the kit was installed

in diagnosing the car's issues we did a leakdown test so i should have a good baseline to go off of
Old 08-28-2002, 09:29 AM

Default In fairness to PES I think the issue falls more into the lap of GIAC. Lim, at best, seemed inclined

to dismiss Charlie's car, in particular, as not possibly the chip. I think the persistence of Charlie AND PES to get some resolution for Charlie (and the other DBW cars for that matter)is what moved GIAC to provide PES and thus Charlie, with this software Rev.
IIRC Charlie has tried a few other chip revisions .. this one finally made a difference for him.
Old 08-28-2002, 03:15 PM

Default No...

Charlies car did have "other" issues from the start. Over time he has changed components/fixed other issues. Garrett saw some of them for himself. I did not since I am in PA. The new software works very well as charlie said. Since we have been selling the kit for the 2000 A4 others did not have the problems that Charlie had. It was mainly starting issues. We are very happy that Charlie is now sorted out and hope that he will stay in contact with us.
Old 08-28-2002, 07:57 PM

Default about those "other" issues...........

like i said in my post on the the A4 forum, Before the kit was installed my car ran flawless
(spare two Random/Multiple mis-fire codes that happened in 110 deg weather with 91 octane on a chip known for its problems on 91)

a blown coil....... it is very common to have a coil go bad with our cars & it's usually not something that goes out over the period of a year, causing problems along the way...they usually just up & quit (as it did in my case)

a bad MAF sensor wire from EVOms Zip-Tie'ing the the harness & putting strain on the wires (done during the Kit install)

along the way i have added a few extra parts to the car in an attempt to fix some things that i was told were suspect, (ignition solution coils, new MAF, Crankcase gas catch can) while some of them did make minor diffrences, the real improvements were apparent with the software revisions

you say there were no other cars that had the same issues as i did? What about BlueA4t28Enyce, AIM4Chalon, ReeseVW, Moleno...plus a few others that i cant remember off the top of my head
Old 08-28-2002, 09:12 PM

Default Simple enough .. Charlie what components did you change between the time you pulled the existing

chip that ran like *** right up till you pulled it and putting in this new chip that runs so much better? If the answer is nothing, then I suggest the "cure" was software and NOT components.
Old 08-28-2002, 10:21 PM

Default just the chip..........

like i said, i had done a few things prior to the latest chip (coils,Catch-Can etc) but none of them made a major diffrence.

in the few months my car was @ EVOms in AZ they probably went through 10 software revisions, and about another 4-5 since ive been back in cali...

Quick Reply: Got the new Software from PES.............Woo-Hoo!