Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Happy Ending with boost issues 00 1.8T GIAC/Milltek (long)

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2002, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Happy Ending with boost issues 00 1.8T GIAC/Milltek (long)

Hey all,

Awhile back I rechipped with GIAC and added a Forge Milltek to the mix. Loved the sound, but my car did not seem as fast as I remembered it with just an APR chip (stock exhaust).

I updated my Bailey DV, replaced vac lines, changed plugs, and tried to clean my MAF sensor. Things helped, and I would get full boost, but always revert to the dreaded "limp" mode. I did not throw any codes for a few weeks, but then I got a constant CEL. Code was "long term sensor" blah blah blah, consistent with a bad MAF.

I got a new MAF installed at Shine Racing in Walpole, MA. WOW, I never had full boost since re-chipping, car is a blast to drive (although it could always be faster, right?). Esp with my Neuspeed short shifter and APR snub mount...

Thanks to all who gave advice.

On a side note, we dropped my wifes 2002 WRX off at the the dealer last night. I was driving the WRX, she was in my A4. I LOVE the way my car sounds from the outside. We did an impromptu 4th gear run on the hwy, and the A4 stepped away smartly from the stock WRX. This was a ~65 MPH roll or so. Keep in mind, the gearing in the WRX is very long, and 4th gear is actually an overdrive! If I (WRX) had been in 3rd gear, it would be much closer. I would say that the A4 is torquier, but the WRX pulls much longer. From a slow roll, I bet the A4 would jump in front, then get passed on the top-end...

Finally, it's been in the 70s here lately, so I'm really enjoying the boost.

Now just gotta figure out if I'm gonna go big turbo on the A4, get an S4, or maybe the new EVO or STI in the next year or two...

Sorry for the novel.

Take care,

FB
Old 08-09-2002, 09:52 AM
mau
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad everything worked out for you.