Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

has anyone with an K&N intake every got error codes saying "too lean"?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2001, 08:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default has anyone with an K&N intake every got error codes saying "too lean"?

i've had my turbo5 intake on for a few months and since i installed my APR stage III kit, i've been getting occasional error codes from the MAS saying that the intake isn't flowing as much air as normal. I had the flow measured with a VAG tool today and it said i was flowing about 2.5 at idle as opposed to 4.5 to 6. seems odd. an audi tech friend of mine said that the MAF was calibrated specifically for use with the stock air box and gets funny readings from anything else but the codes have only come up since the Stage III went in. the code that came up was the same one that usually signifies a vacuum leak but everything seemed fine. any thoughts?
Old 05-11-2001, 10:38 PM
CMH

Default If the intake was not flowing enough air then you would be running rich not lean. Sounds like there

is something wrong with your chip or your ecu since you just did the stage 3 kit and they had to change your chip and some resistors on the ecu if they still do it that way.
Old 05-11-2001, 11:04 PM

Default i know it would be rich but the ECU is compensating for the lack of air

it just seams like the car should feel more powerful if it were flowing at full capacity. it doesn't really feel like 280bhp right now. i think i might try swapping with some other 1.8t owner to try their stock air box and see if that makes and significant diff.
Old 05-12-2001, 04:39 AM

Default i dont know who, but someone else here has the cone intake W/ a stage III

try searching mabye?
Old 05-12-2001, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default What year is your car?

some people have reported problems running the turbo5 setup on the newer DBW models (I think they were running APRs chip and it worked fine in stock mode, but I may be wrong) The non-dbw cars don't seem to be affected (maybe less sensitive)

Your tech friend is correct, the MAF is designed to be used with the air horn, and is designed to protrude into the stock box a certain length. That's why I used the airhorn on my cone air setup, and mounted the filter on it. The front of the cone filter is about the same depth as the front of the airbox relative to the horn. I haven't checked the exact depth, but I'm sure it's close.

Doesn't APR solder in a resister for the MAF? I wonder if this effects it?
Old 05-12-2001, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I thought it was Jeff Davison, but I'm not sure.
Old 05-12-2001, 09:27 AM
EdP
AudiWorld Uber User

Default They don't do the resistor modification anymore....

with the DBW's. The reason for the ONE resistor that is added on non-dbw cars, is basic electrical engineering. The maf cannot generate more than a certain voltage for a certain CFM rate, and at the stage 3's intake flow, it's off the readable scale in the ECU. So above a certain point there is no way to know what the CFM taken in is. The resistor halves the voltage scale, so that the airflow can be properly accounted for. You cannot rescale the MAF tables on the non-dbw's. You CAN on the DBW cars, and so, those with a DBW do not have anything more than a standard EMCS chip. Non-DBW cars were ME5.x, and DBW cars are ME7 engine management.

Back to the question. I disagree; I would suspect a bad MAF, or the laminar screen has been removed in the intake mod. Personally, I'd use the stock box, but replacing it might not make a difference without looking at the two things I mentioned. A fluctuating MAF reading is a good indicator that it's bad.
Old 05-12-2001, 05:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I know two or three - No problems from what ive heard.
Old 05-13-2001, 08:29 PM
ARK
AudiWorld Senior Member

Could be the K&N is leaving a film of oil on the MAF sense wire. Clean it with solvent.
Old 05-14-2001, 02:39 PM

Default Could you please tell me where the MAF sensor wire is located?

Is it easy to get to?

Quick Reply: has anyone with an K&N intake every got error codes saying "too lean"?