Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

This has been done to death but I need honest opinions before pulling the trigger.--->

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2004, 06:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This has been done to death but I need honest opinions before pulling the trigger.--->

For a daily driven NDBW A4 1.8t, that will see some drag use...mostly all street use. Is it worth spending the extra $grand$ on APR's stg3 or just go the other way and go with PES???

Honest opinions from owners of both welcome, not trying to start a bashing for either company...I just want some feed back. plain and simple!!
Old 01-22-2004, 04:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default There is no easy answer to this question

I have installed both kits, and driven both.

They are as different as two kits can be, and opinions of both the kits and companies that make them are all over the map. For either kit - it is installation issues that can get you in trouble. You really should spend a few hours searching the forums.

With that said, IMHO - the APR kit is more sophisicated - with much better fit and finish. The hardware in the kit is much better and you certainly feel the love when you go through the parts that glorious day your kit arrives. The install is harder, but in the end you might even think Audi designed he kit. I dunno about support from APR, but support from other APR kit owners is unbelievable. The software seems more tame, you almost do not realize how fast it really is, untill you see the timeslip.

The PES kit on the other hand is more about brute force. PES seems to have the "Keep It Simple Stupid" theory. I found the design of the intake and piping to be much more simple and I actually prefer it over the APR kit. The hardware is adequate, and although I was dissapoined in it after seeing an APR kit, I cannot say that it matters and the end of the day. I do not think that there are as many PES ppl to give you installation support but you will probably not need it - the kit is very simple to install. I think that GIAC software is good and they certainly tuned it to be aggressive. First gear is practically violent, you really get put in your seat in every gear. The power is kinda peak-y, IMHO - 1/4 times are probably about the same as an APR kit on the same octane programming.

For what it is worth - I certainly see why the APR kit costs more. It has more and better parts. In fact, I would bet that PES is making more $$ on each kit than APR (assuming the same sales #'s and development costs). But at the end of the day does that extra $$ really buy you anything? I dunno - I am happy with my kit and there are many ppl that have put tens of thousands of miles on their PES kit.

I will stop rambling now. I certainly cannot reccomend a kit to you. Are you an older buisnessman with a family - like me? Are you a younger kid that wants to feel the turbo get into boost with fury? What other mods do you have? What other mods are you planning? Do you work on your car yourself or do you live near APR or PES (or a good tuner)?

Feel free to ask any more questions if you like. Better yet, get a ride in both.
Old 01-22-2004, 07:59 AM

Old 01-22-2004, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thanks.

Yeah - Both our cars are prolly running much better now. Plus I really wanna try your brakes...
Old 01-22-2004, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

yes...nice write up
Old 01-22-2004, 06:01 PM

Damn ....good write up....I'll drop ya an e-mail.
Old 01-22-2004, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Excellent write up

Just wanted to clear up a few things for myself,
doesn't PES kit include a bigger turbo GT28?
Apr's is GT25. Therefore if adding a downpipe, HFC or a test pipe would make it deliver more power.
And on the other hand, the peak torque on the apr's kit would be reached at lower rpm?

I'm very happy with the power my kit delivers, the car feels very brutal and smoth on each gear.

My recomendation to GoldenRocket would be if possible drive cars with each of the kits, and make a decision.
Old 01-22-2004, 07:30 PM

Default The PES kit uses a T28 turbo. The APR kit uses a GT28. Garrett changed the nomenclature on the GT25

to GT28 last year. The turbo itself wasn't altered .. just a 'name change'.
Old 01-23-2004, 05:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

So, are those turbos the same then?
Old 01-23-2004, 05:39 AM

Default No. The T28 is an older design. While it is available in a ball bearing configuration the

PES kit doesn't use that 'version'. The GT series have a dual BB CHRA and more aerodynamic wheels and housing designs than the older T series. The GT28 is becoming dated with the introduction of the GT RS (disco potato) turbo.

Quick Reply: This has been done to death but I need honest opinions before pulling the trigger.--->