Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

HELP! audi tt won't shift into reverse and is revving but no power!

Old 05-02-2014, 12:42 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! audi tt won't shift into reverse and is revving but no power!

Hi,

a few weeks ago, my manual audi tt stopped shifting into reverse. I could use gears 1-5, but not get into reverse. About two weeks after that, I was no longer able to shift into first, except with extreme force. I can currently shift into gears 2, 3, 4, and 5 as usual, but cannot access reverse, and have to use a forceful thrust to get it into first (and sometimes it still won't get into first). Then, the past few days, it's driving terribly....when I'm driving in gear with the gas pedal down, the RPM's are flying up, and there's very little acceleration/power, the kind of behavior you'd expect if I was slamming on the gas and pushing in the clutch at the same time. It's revving really high but it's like only 1/3 the power/acceleration it should be.it's going really slow. Can you guys please tell me what you think would cause this? It's already been suggested to me that it might be a slipping clutch. What are your thoughts? Thanks!
Old 06-03-2014, 05:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
Default TT transmission

Originally Posted by BriaRoberts
Hi,

a few weeks ago, my manual audi tt stopped shifting into reverse. I could use gears 1-5, but not get into reverse. About two weeks after that, I was no longer able to shift into first, except with extreme force. I can currently shift into gears 2, 3, 4, and 5 as usual, but cannot access reverse, and have to use a forceful thrust to get it into first (and sometimes it still won't get into first). Then, the past few days, it's driving terribly....when I'm driving in gear with the gas pedal down, the RPM's are flying up, and there's very little acceleration/power, the kind of behavior you'd expect if I was slamming on the gas and pushing in the clutch at the same time. It's revving really high but it's like only 1/3 the power/acceleration it should be.it's going really slow. Can you guys please tell me what you think would cause this? It's already been suggested to me that it might be a slipping clutch. What are your thoughts? Thanks!
Similar issues here. determined it to be a bad shifter fork in the transmission, scorched clutch and flywheel.
Old 09-15-2014, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default T

Originally Posted by JKBMaryland
Similar issues here. determined it to be a bad shifter fork in the transmission, scorched clutch and flywheel.

Yep the clutch is done !!!! Exact symptoms . I just replaced the original clutch at 180k in my explorer and same issues exactly .
Old 09-15-2014, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default T

Originally Posted by Vr6freak
Yep the clutch is done !!!! Exact symptoms . I just replaced the original clutch at 180k in my explorer and same issues exactly .
This answer is for the original poster . I doubt the shift fork is bad . That's pretty rare