Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Help with brake pads...

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2001, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with brake pads...

I'm planning on 1-3 track events this year and need to upgrade my brakes. I don't feel that a "big brake" system is warranted. I would like to upgrade my pads and maybe the rotors, lines and fluid.

In my research I've seen mention of Porterfield R4 and R4-S, and Pagid (insert color here)as the likely choices. But, and here's my beef, $350+ for brakes pads is a fu*&ing RIP-OFF!

For instance, the R4 pad for the M3 is $169.00

Found Pagids for the M3 at <$200.00

What gives?
Old 01-07-2001, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'm a big fan of Ferodos

Not only are they cheap, $125 for all four, but they're outstanding! I've used them on the street and track events with no problems. They stop well with little to no fade, give out less dust than stock and last a long time.
Old 01-07-2001, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default I'd second that!

However, the Ferodos are on my VW, and I've taken her to the track a few times, and seems to hold up. I also have slotted rotors to help those hot gasses escape. A good combo, but as far as dust goes, my compound makes a LOT of dust, but to its credit, it's easier to get off than the stock pad dust.

I figure that's the price to pay for better performance. In my book, if you don't see dust, your'e not braking :-)
Old 01-07-2001, 03:45 PM

Default I've been pretty aggressive with them at the track.

Other than boiling the superblue every run session, everything held up really well. I was on street tires, slicks would probably be a different story. I have heard that Porterfield pads can vary drastically from batch to batch though.

Todd W
Old 01-08-2001, 08:13 AM

What compound?
Old 01-08-2001, 08:15 AM

Default That's what I've heard from people, too.

That's because they are designed for the street, not track temps.

The R4's work pretty well at the track, but wear pretty quickly.
Old 01-08-2001, 08:18 AM

Default I strongly recommend Pagid Orange at all four corners.

Great bite, and works pretty darn well on the track, and the street. They will probably squeal a little, but not nearly as much as those R4's.

If you upgrade rotors, probably the only thing worthwhile are the Alcon OEM sized front and rear rotors from Vortrag. Only trouble is that they're really expensive.

For fluid, I would recommend Motul 600.
Old 01-08-2001, 01:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default As a track-only pad???

Hi Corey - I wasn't sure if you were recommending a pad for all-around use, or for track-only. I know a bunch of people happy with the Porterfield R4 (not R4S) on the track, but I respect your opinions..
Old 01-08-2001, 02:00 PM

Default No...

The Pagid Oranges are the best compromise for street/autox/track that I've used. I like them the best on the street, in my B-Types, lots of prgressive bite without required high temps. This allows them to be a pretty good autox pad, too. For the track, they will work great for most. I have now outgrown the Orange compound, I'm running harder and harder on the track, and my brake temps are now too high for them. I've since tried Pagid RS-12, RS-14, and Ferodo DS3000 on the track. The DS3000's had incredible bite (but only when hot!) and a solid pedal all the way to the backing plates (they didn't last very long). The RS-12's and 14's are very similar, the 14's require a little more heat, but bite and pedal is similar for both. You could probably pull off the 12's on the street (I actually am right now), but if your brakes are really cold, they might not have much bite.

The R4's that I've used had great bite for street/autox, but it wasn't very progressive. They didn't require a lot of heat to bite, and also didn't seem to overheat at the track. At track temps, their bite wasn't quite as good as the Oranges, but close. Only trouble at the track is that they worn down extremely quickly, about as fast as those Ferodos. Another negative is that they squeal like freakin' crazy!

I'm actually using R4's in my rear calipers right now. I'd like to put Oranges back there, but I'll wear these out first. Oh, wait! I'm putting R-Types on the rear soon, and then can't use my R4's! They are coming with Pagid Blue, though, which I haven't tried.
Old 01-08-2001, 02:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Many thanks..

Lots of good info!

I'm carefully considering options -- some might call it "procrastinating" -- for track-only pads for the upcoming season of driving schools. Sounds like the Orange might be a good fit for my application/ability. Of course, I should really start with available fitments and choose from there :-)

Quick Reply: Help with brake pads...