Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Help...Upgrade path questions. (longish) Also posted on A4 forum

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2000, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help...Upgrade path questions. (longish) Also posted on A4 forum

Having abandoned the thought of purchasing a used S4 (well actually my wife helped me reach that decision) I thought I had a good upgrade path planned for my 99.5 (non-dbw) Qtip...I would add a Turbo5 K04 to my existing GIAC 30b program and at the same time do a Turbo5 FMIC (this is in addition to my existing Turbo5 intake, resonator & S4 wheel well mod). Perfect for my daily highway commute and occasional spirited drive (never track or drag); I thought.

And then in the wee hours of the morning I started to stumble across all the posts regarding the torque handling capacity of the tip trans. It seems that my car in its' current state of modification may already be nipping at the heals of the upper echelons of the transmissions torque handling capacity. I'm looking for bullet proof, turnkey performance, a car that I can keep for 80,000 miles (and not have to wrench-on monthly).

Not wanting to beat this to death again, I have a few simple questions and would welcome all your comments or advice. Given I do not have a full exhaust (resonator only), I will not be realizing the full potential of the K04 upgrade is this possibly enough to keep things within reason for my tip? Or am I simply asking for trouble. If I need to stick with the K03 any reason (performance, reliability etc.) to add the FMIC (it can't hurt...except in the wallet)? Buying a manual is not an option. I'm ready to pull the trigger on the mods, if it's the right thing to do! Thanks for sticking with the long post....Chris