Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

How labor intensive is an oilpan swap on a 1.8T?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 10:27 AM
CP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How labor intensive is an oilpan swap on a 1.8T?

I mostly stripped the drain plug threads on my wife's 03 Jetta 1.8T a couple of changes ago, and it's been getting worse on subsequent oil changes.

The last time I changed the oil a few weeks ago, the drain plug didn't end up as tight as I'd like it when I screwed it back in. So during her next oil change, I want to replace the entire oilpan, unless there is some method to R&R the drain plug threads. It's an aluminum pan I believe, which is the problem.

I'm going to start looking for a used pan soon. It looks pretty straightforward to drop, with no crossmembers to remove. What gaskets do I need...turbo drain tube and one for the pan itself? Or can the flanges be cleaned and sealed with grey RTV (the way I've done it twice on my Mitsu turbo; no leaks running 23psi of boost)?

Anyone know the TQ values for the oilpan bolts for re-installation?

I hate that POS car of hers, but I'd rather not have to replace the engine when the drain plug blows out and the engine starves.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:37 PM

Default Re: How labor intensive is an oilpan swap on a 1.8T?

the pan swap is easy. there is no gasket for the pan, just white sealant. get the stuff from the dealership, is better then RTV. the turbo return gasket needs to be replaced, do not reuse. Good tip is to clean the turbo pickup tube to the oil pump while you have the oil pan off. The tube sludges up on the 1.8T.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:08 AM
CP

Default Great, thanks for the info.

So the tube of VW sealant is worth $14?