Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

How much boost can I run?......

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 05:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much boost can I run?......

So I've been trying to figure out which way to go, the two turbos that I have narrowed it down to are the GT30R and the GT3071R..Now everything that is envolved in this is pretty extensive, so here in lies my question or two questions...

What is the safest amount of boost to run on stock fueling with APR 1 bar chip with either of these turbos? I know there will be a difference between the 2, and that I wont get no where near full potential, that I am aware of. I was thinking around 8 lbs because of the volume output of the other turbos in comparison to the KO3?

The only reason that I am asking is because I plan on pulling the motor this winter and rebuilding it, most likely Pauter rods and JE pistons etc...

Now my other question, When using the VR6 MAF, is their a certain combination of injectors and MAF that work well together? For example. Lets say a VR6 MAF, and 440cc injectors, will this combination work well without additional tunning?
Old 04-12-2005, 07:41 PM
WJM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default if you are asking these questions you shouldnt do it

no offense...
Old 04-13-2005, 04:32 AM

Default No offense taken....

But why the insult? I thought that in my post I would get the point across that Im not a retard, but I guess not.

I am sure that there are people on here that have done the same thing. Granted you dont know me or my slight bit of knowledge, but how is someone suppose to learn?

I dont have the luxury of local tuners (like east or west coasts) nor anyone else in my area except for a 4 people that I trust, only one being "European Car Inclined". I am tackling this project, with full awareness of the consequences of what lie ahead. I am not some 17 year old who wants the cool "Psshhhh" sound nor a fat tip, with a big wing. I am one of few people in my area that think thats there more to a european car the slammed suspension wheel arches and BBS RS's.

**Edit damn Proof Read**
Old 04-13-2005, 07:46 AM

Default Im in the process of building a liquid/air intercooler setup similar to yours...

I was wondering what you are using to trigger the pump, or do you just run the pump all the time.

How do you like your set up?

anything that you would change if you were going to redo it?

sorry for all the questions
Old 04-13-2005, 05:26 PM
WJM
AudiWorld Super User

Default it isnt meant to be an insult, but you are asking specific, quick questions

it doesnt seem like you are trying to find out how the whole air/fuel system works, or how to do the math. Unless you understand how it all works, how are you going to tune or diagnose a problem.

Someone here could say go get 50lb injectors and a vr6 Maf, but then what are you going to need to know?
you need to be able to answer the following:
how many cfm of air are you going to move with the turbo, what psi are you going to run it at, what is the turbo compressor map look like. What is the flow area of the stock maf, and what is the flow area of the vr6 maf? What FPR setting will you need to use in order to get the appropriate A/F ratio. What is the max injector cycle that your chip is using now? What amount of fuel does that equate to? What would that same injector cycle equate to with the 50lbs? What happens then if you raise that to 4 bar? etc etc

i'd recommend doing some research, and perhaps reverse engineering some of the common setups so that you get this database of knowledge. Once you do so, it will make your life a lot easier. Without a local shop/tuner you are going to be on your own, so trying to diagnose a problem will be difficult and potentially VERY expensive.
Old 04-13-2005, 05:29 PM
WJM
AudiWorld Super User

Default i have both the Autospeed water mister control that automatically turns it on

and a manual override switch. I pretty much just leave it on all the time though =)

I like the setup a lot. It is definitely the way to go for the B5 A4. Anything I would change? No, I'd like to make the piping a little smoother/optimized though. I will soon though.
Old 04-13-2005, 05:30 PM
WJM
AudiWorld Super User

ask any questions you'd like
Old 04-13-2005, 07:38 PM

Default right, I understand that but...

I was under the unsumption that most MAF's are "calibrated" to certain injectors, or a certain range.. The question about the injectors was just a curiosity, because I have seen that there have been alot of people running the VR6 MAF.

My main question is was about boost, and what would be the amount of boost I would be able to run on stock fuel/tuning with either a GT30R or GT3071R.
Old 04-14-2005, 06:37 AM
WJM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The VR6 MAF housing is just a tube with flow properties that are calibrated with the VR6s MAF via...

the vr6's ECU.

your chipped ecu is calibrated to a MAF housing with a cross section area of X with a radius of = r1

People are using the vr6 maf housing because it has a larger area/radius (r2). So if your chip is calibrared MAF area of pi*r1^2 on a stock ecu = max airflow reading 138 g's/sec pi*r2^2 = reading of less airflow. So why do you think people want to do that?

Back to your original question "how much boost" It isn't about how much boost pressure you can run on the air/fuel map, it is about airflow (g's/sec)
Old 04-14-2005, 07:02 AM

Default Re: The VR6 MAF housing is just a tube with flow properties

"Back to your original question "how much boost" It isn't about how much boost pressure you can run on the air/fuel map, it is about airflow (g's/sec)"

Yes I know that thats why I said "I was thinking around 8 lbs because of the volume output of the other turbos in comparison to the KO3?" and that why I listed the two turbos as "GT30R and the GT3071R"

Quick Reply: How much boost can I run?......