Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

I am stupid and need help with Koni sport shocks.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2003, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I am stupid and need help with Koni sport shocks.

Im am getting rid of my Pss9s which are still on the car. Got my set of Koni sport adjustables in today with some springs. Adjusting the fronts is pretty straight forward with the little adjuster ****. It didnt come with instructions for the rear. Can somebody give me detailed instructions on how to adjust the rear for hardness prior to installation? BIg thanks.
Old 09-29-2003, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default push it all the way down, clamp the threads and spin

threads facing down

i used cardboard to protect the threads and vice grip to keep it still
Old 09-29-2003, 05:07 PM

Default mine doesnt have threads on both ends? or on either?

just hase the bushing donuts on each end....any ideas?
Old 09-29-2003, 06:37 PM
Former Vendor

What car?
Old 09-29-2003, 06:46 PM

Default Its a

TT 225 Quattro. I had a set of Bilstein PSS9s which Im returning to Bilstein for full refund. THere are the worst garbage I have ever bought. The rear spring, an HR design is faulty and I had over 7 sets of rears collapse in alittle over a year. BIlstein kept replacing the springs, and even gave me a credit for repairs as well as a set of Eibachs..Now im gonna try the Konis with a mixed set of Neuspeed race fronts and sport rears, hopefully this gets it done. I think I figured out the koni rears. What I did was pull shock apart (its still in 1 piece) till it was fully apart, then removed rubber bushing and plastic spacer. THen I fully compressed it and turned it clockwise fully for maximum hardness. IO could feel something engage and go till it hit a stop. Then pulled apart again and re-inserted bushing and spacer then compressed to normal. Does this sound right?
Old 09-30-2003, 07:16 AM
Former Vendor

Default Sounds correct, however..

Koni does not suggest that any of their shocks be set at the absolute highest stiffness.
They suggest turning until the shaft stops, then backing off 1/4 turn. This is their full stiff setting.

Using a Neuspeed sport spring in the rear with such a stiff shock setting on a light car isn't going to perform too great. I'd suggest a slightly softer setting in the rear, since those springs really aren't that stiff.
Old 09-30-2003, 01:33 PM

Default Yeah...I know what you mean...do you know where I can get a higher rate spring for the rear?

with a lower drop? What do you think is better for a rear? Progressive or linear in weight?
Old 09-30-2003, 01:38 PM

Default I have

gone with a setup of Front Neuspeed Race springs which are probably about 360-400lbs in rate and the rear sports. THey dont make a rear race spring to fit the 225, the fronts are off the 180FWD kit. I would estimate the rears to be progressive starting at about 330-450ish. Does this sound about right? I base these numbers on the similarities with the HR springs from my Pss9 kit. THe rears are a stop gap filler, I really need a non collapsing spring in the rear. The HR design is really bad. I have tried Eibachs but the drops isnt enought and the spring rate is really soft...like tour bus...ANy ideas on a good custom spring setup and what Kind of balance in rates between front and rear? I will try maybe 75% hardness in the rear and see how that works and go full max and back a quarter inch in front for hardness. I run 22mm front bar and 19mm rear bar so alittle push is ok as car can get real tail happy on off camber slippery bits
Old 09-30-2003, 01:57 PM
Former Vendor

Default Well..

You're slightly confusing the spring rate and the damping rate. Increasing the damping rebound rate of the shock in the rear will make the ride bouncy and uncomfortable. You need a higher rate spring to counter the high rebound setting you're setting the shock up with.

Rear spring rates on MkIV VW's run around the 200-300lb/in range on most aftermarket kits. I expect a similar range for the TT's since they share a similar platform. The 350-450 numbers are probably a tad on the high side for H&R Sport springs in the rear.

One problem you'll run into with the higher rate springs in the front is some understeer. You've got the fatter front sway bar, which only compounds the problem. I'd consider going back to the stock front sway if you plan on using the race springs up front.
There aren't many options for springs on the TT unfortunately aside from coilovers. I'm checking with Vogtland to see what they've got coming down the pipes on this.
Old 09-30-2003, 02:13 PM

Default Yeah the numbers on the springs

I got from Steve Brightbill who does RD and Bilstein in Poway. YOu right the applications are really limited for the springs. One of the main reasons why I went with the stronger bar up front other than curtailing snap oversteer was the factory bars on the 225 are problematic and known to break. I broke the welds on mine and the second one was starting to go as well. Based on Bilstein numbers the Neuspeed front springs are probably within 20-40 pounds of what I have on there now. I think coilovers are crap for this car. With the exception of maybe KW. I think the problem with VW kits on the 225 is there arent taking into account the higher vehicle weight...this car is a pig. If you have anything that will work let me know as I would like something to try out.