Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

im wanting the pppssshhhh sound, what do i need?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2005, 05:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default im wanting the pppssshhhh sound, what do i need?

ok, i have a 1999 audi a4 1.8t frontwheel with the 91 octance apr chip and was wanting to get my car to give off the psshhh sound when the air is released. i was going to get the audi tt diverter and custom my box intake that already has a h&n intake in it. but i was told that would not allow my car to give the (blow off valve sound like mitsubishis) and i was wanting something similar to that sound. i was told that a cone cold air intake would kinda give me that sound, but i do not want to take the chance of drowing out my engine with the cold air intake, because this is my everyday drive car and dont want to take a chance of going through a puddle and killing my engine. i was thinking about getting a turbo xs diverter valve or a bailey motor sport diverter valve and trying to customize my air intake with a cone but have it take the air from the top of my grille, rather than the bottom. do you think that this would give me the PSSHHHH!!! sound, if not, what would you guys recommend i get and do to my car. ohh and im happy with the horsepower i have now and dont mind giving up some horsepower in order to get that sound. thanks in advance. any info with sites to go to would help. thanks again
Old 08-06-2005, 05:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: im wanting the pppssshhhh sound, what do i need?

i was wondering also, if it is bad to buy a xs diverter off my buddies friend that has been used for 6 months. or should i not take a chance of something being wrong with it?
Old 08-06-2005, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A bad case of gas, or an electrical Phissh generator.. Jeesh this is the perf. section

<ul><li><a href="http://www.allinfonow.com/3159/">http://www.allinfonow.com/3159/</a</li></ul>
Old 08-08-2005, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default so you'll give up HP for some stupid sound? here's an idea then, take a sharp knive and poke it in

each of your tires. You'll get plenty of PSSSSSSHHH.

Please trade your car in for a Mitsubishi afterward.
Old 08-08-2005, 06:24 AM

Default Slowly step away from the Audi

If you want the pssssh sound, buy a mitsu, do not ruin your car just for some stupid sound.
Old 08-08-2005, 03:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default simplest way is to intall both. Dial the BOV spring high

so it will not open only with deceleration vacuum - about 22 inHg, but only with existence of "excess" pressure. Then hookup the BOV vac line directly to a manifold nipple. You can tee yours off the BPV line since your's is a nonDBW.

There are good reasons for a BOV other than sound. It's just that a lot of folk don't know the concept and how to properly install it which results in bashing since they "heard" of problems with them.

I have other ways of installing BOV's but you need to know some electronics.

BTW, I have custom piping and a SARD R2D2. Really mean, fierce sound, but I enjoy the spool up and the cooler intercooler
Old 08-09-2005, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Hey, what's wrong with Mitsubishi's????

FYYFF.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:04 AM

EXXTREME!!!!!!!!!!111121212!!!!1
Old 08-16-2005, 07:32 AM

Default Re: im wanting the pppssshhhh sound, what do i need?

If you want the pppssshhh sound, you either need a blow through MAF or a MAP based engine managment system like the Mitsus, otherwise your car won't run right, you'll burn out your cat, you'll foul your plugs, etc. If you want something close to it, you need a cold(or warm) air intake. And if you have a chip and still have the stock diverter valve, you probably should go and buy a better after market valve because the stock one will fail.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:49 AM

Default FYI

I'm not sure how installing an aftermarket "BOV" (technically a bypass or diverter valve) would ruin your car or decrease horsepower.

Usually you would install an aftermarket product like this because it will be able to handle higher amounts of boost without leaking. I'm not sure what the default Audi OEM "BOV" can handle but usually OEM parts can not handle high boost and they are also designed to be quiet intentionally since most people would totally freak out if thier car made some sort of "whooosh" noise every time they stepped on the gas.

Also, for the uninformed here there is nothing wrong with Mitsubishi cars. They also use a turbo system very similar to Audi's, Subaru's, etc... There is no real BOV in a Mitsubishi. They have a closed air system using a MAF and any air from the turbo vented to the atmoshpere would severly hurt your car without modifying the way the MAF is used.