Performance and Tuning Discussion forum for various performance tuning techniques and questions

Just completed a track day with CAA. Very Interesting...

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2001, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just completed a track day with CAA. Very Interesting...

We had about 12 audi members turn up, together with about 8 other cars that were going for a c3 racing Licence. This included a new 996 Turbo, 2 other 911's, one full turbo Race car, another modified 911NA in Club race trim, a A6 4.2V8, Ford XR8 Utility, and a few other cars..
I decided to be on the conservative side and set my Boost levels to 18PSI, (Usually run around 22-24psi).
Coming on to the Back straight, A6 in front of me, he floors it, I come from behind, in about 75 meters distance I am past and Gone!!! Hey my Car is rocking!!!!.
On another lap, the 996 comes on behind, again entry to the straight, I floor it, (Temptation was to turn up boost, but left it at 18psi), Half way down the straight, look behind me, hey he is a good 30 meters behind me.. WooHoo!, so I back of to let him pass, get behind, then i waited behinds him for the main staright, coming on to last turn, blood boiling, heart pumping, (you know what its like), ready to hit the Gas, and then it happened........He shot of into the Pits!
Damn Damn.... This actually happened a number of times, I could net get a run next to him....
Any way the other 911 NA porshe, was very quick, but in the straights, not quick enough to keep up to my A4, Consitantly I can pull away from him slowly, and this happened through out the Day.
The quickest Car was the Full Race prepped turbo 911. down the straight, he was only slightly out accelerated me, On a Full Lap of this circuit that take around 1m 25-34sec to complete,
He got about 50 Meters on me, Hot Damn!! my car was rocking!!!!
The only problem I had, Is i installed a Dud set of pads, 1 Hard lap, and brake Fade, so then you let them cool down for a lap, then you got another lap.
We had later in the Day, two mock races, so we all gridded up, I got Position 9 or 10.
The Green Flag Dropped, Dumped the Twin Plate Clutch, The Car Launched, whoohoo!!!, By the end of the straight, first turn to left, I got into position 3. Only the two porsches to Go, the 996 turbo wehnt off the track on the first turn.
The Got right on the Back of the the other two porsches, next turn to the right, I lost it Big time!!! Those Crap Goodyear F1's just let go, no grip whats so ever, I thing I spun around twice.
It was sort of Fun, until I was pointing the wrong way on the track looking head on at all the other cars in front of me, Damn gotta to get outtta heere, I go of into the infield, Floor it on the Grass, did a great sweeping 4 wheel drift and back onto the track..I would say it would have looked as good as any other Proffessional race spin of and re-entry onto the Track. Where were the Camera's!!!!!
Then Came the Task to catch the Cars, I think after that sping I was then in position 17.
By the End of the First lap I got back to about 10th.. Next lap pegged a few more car, the Severe Brake Fade, So the I backed Off all together.

Later in the day, took a few other Audi members
for a lap in the car.

All in all a great day... The Car really Ran well and strong and Damn Fast, other 1.8tq and V6 A4s including the 4.2A6 were simply no match at all, I was passing them like standing still.
The Gt25 when great, the responce of it on the race track was fantastic, it actually felt better then a NA car. Pedal response was instant...
All this on 18PSI!!!!!
S4 is no competetion to me (yeah go flame me)
I can't wait till i run against a RS4.
On a pure Drag Race with 18psi, I would think I would be a touch quicker the the 996 Turbo (current Model), set my boost to 22-24psi, sure to blow him away.
I hope someone has some good Photos!!!!
Old 02-24-2001, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Wow! I am drooling! I can't wait to get my car up 400hp!!
Old 02-24-2001, 03:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Stop talking like that, you're getting MY blood boiling!! 8-) Great Day!! congrats!!
Old 02-24-2001, 11:05 PM

ooooooh big mess
Old 02-24-2001, 11:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 996 guy was smart, now you'll never know ;P Awesome job
Old 02-25-2001, 01:25 AM

How much HP are you running with that turbo?
Old 02-25-2001, 09:15 AM

The 996 turbo runs mid 11's, I don't think you would take it in a drag
Old 02-25-2001, 02:07 PM

Why not? This guy has 400+hp in a lighter car.
Old 02-25-2001, 03:12 PM

Default Sorry, I don't know anything about his car

I have never heard of an A4 hitting even very low 13s let alone 12s and 11s but if his car is that fast than it would be extremely impresive. I still think the 911 turbo would be faster as the 420 hp it makes is much more useable since the engine isn't working so hard to make it. I'd love to hear more about Lucas's car though.
Steven H
Old 02-25-2001, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Sorry, I don't know anything about his car

Hybrid GT23/35 Garret Ballbearing Ceramic turbo.
Equal length T304 stainless tubular Exhaust Manifold. Cermamic Coated
3" Turbo back exhaust system, no Cat.
Ported Head with Ceramic coatings
Blended Inlet Manifold
FMIC with S4 Bar
JE Pistons with Ceramic coatings.
APR Stage 4 Rods and ARP Rod Bolts
APR Twin Plate Clutch and Light Flywheel.
Engine Fully Balanced to 0.5 gm
Large Injectors
Custom Software
Stock Factory Air Box.

Waiting For Carbon Fibre Hood.
Thats roughly it in the Engine dept....

Quick Reply: Just completed a track day with CAA. Very Interesting...